Agnostic.com

3 1

So I was raised in a Catholic house, I often have to deal with the baptism speech, how if I don't get baptized I'll go to hell or limbo but I find the idea of having water on my forehead symbolizing my after life destination incredibly absurd. What is everyone's thought on baptism?

Stevefreeminder 2 Dec 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I thought Catholics always have babies baptized immediately? Otherwise they cannot go to heaven...so if you were raised Catholic it is likely you were baptized at 10 days old or earlier.

They like to have babies baptized soon after birth, because they will go to "Limbo" if they die before baptism. I guess that's what happens when you are too innocent to go to hell. That's what they scared all the potential parents with. Like this baby would be floating in a big void for eternity, and it would be your fault as a parent. I was raised catholic. The catholic church thrives on guilt and shame.

I was allowed to choose my religion but raised under Catholic values, naturally this backfired as I found Catholicism to be totally Looney

I've never understood the Catholic version of baptism. Jesus was dunked under the water, a cold and muddy river that fish did their business in. If you're going to do baptism, do it the way it was intended to be done.

I never baptized my son. I let him decide. When his Grandma pushed him on the issue he came to talk to me about it. I said, maybe you should do it to make your Grandma feel better. He said "No, it would be a lie and a sham, and that's just not me". I can't argue with his logic.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11479
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.