Agnostic.com

3 5

Fake Evidence Appearing Real

Christmas Eve I attended an interdenominational mass with a co-worker. It’s been years since I’ve stepped foot in a church and I’ve never attended a Catholic church or interdenominational service (non-denominational, sure). It was interesting as I described to an old friend whom I spoke with on Christmas day. “What!? You went to church?” she exclaimed. “Sure, not like I’ve never been before.” I said, though I’ve never been with her the close to 30 years I’ve known her (she grew up Jehovah’s Witness, but that’s another story). “But, you’re so anti-religion.” She said. “I wouldn’t say anti, I’m open to new ideas.” I replied. I left it there as she seemed very disinterested in the conversation.

A few days later my beer buddy came over to catch up. He got a kick out of me going to church more and more so as I reflected on the experience. The name of the sermon was “Do Not Be Afraid” though the theme was more the “real” meaning of Christmas. The preacher used examples from A Charlie Brown Christmas to drive his points home. Specifically, towards the end he used the scene where Linus tells the audience what Christmas is all about and drops his security blanket when the angel tells the shepherds not to fear him for he has brought word of the savior. Though the one thing that really stuck with me was an acronym he used earlier in the sermon, and failed to tie back into any other points thereafter, FEAR: Fake Evidence Appearing Real.

This is my newest and maybe most favorite example of cognitive dissonance I’ve ever witnessed. What is the fake evidence that appears real? What kind of public speaker goes out of there way to use an acronym and not tie it back to specific examples throughout there talking points? I have the mindset to write to this preacher for clarification. Was the angel appearing fake evidence of something the shepherds should not have been afraid of? Was he trolling the packed chapel to see if anyone would realize his sermon was the fake evidence? It seemed to me he was saying that the birth of Christ is the reason to not be afraid of anything and that that is what Christmas is all about.

There are just so many problems that are clear when you are aware of the origins of Christmas. Of course, to Christians the meaning is the celebration of the birth of Christ. But I’m sure most people here are aware that most Christmas traditions are not Christian in their founding. The preacher at this church is not an ignorant person, he has the means to research and verify the things he claims so to disregard history is a willful act to mislead people.

Not everyone celebrates Christmas because the son of a god as himself was born to save us from himself. Most people celebrate it as a recognition of the changing of the seasons and celebrate by doing the things we enjoy: eating, drinking, singing, spending time with family, giving and receiving gifts (because gifts are fun), and being jolly that we’re on our way to ending another year on this flying rock that is actively working to rid itself of us. That is the true meaning of Christmas once you peel away the fear.

itchic 4 Dec 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's easier to believe in someone else or something else other than yourself.

SamL Level 7 Dec 30, 2017

There are open-minded people and there are closed minded people who are desperately holding on to something they believe they need. The evidence may not be real but their fear is and religion is their security blanket. (Fantasy is preferable to reality.) My husband calls them the walking wounded.

Betty Level 8 Dec 30, 2017

More Fake News-perhaps the pastor knows tRUMP. Like tRUMP lying, deception and alternative facts.

Fake news sounds about right.
Pic retrieved Dec 30, 2017 from: [wp.production.patheos.com]

cool. thanx for sharing.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11544
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.