Agnostic.com

13 3

Religious adult kids

My daughter is 25 now and she considers herself a spiritual Christian. I became an atheist when she was 14 and she took it kind of hard. She had been going to church with my sister-in-law and I told her she couldn’t go anymore but that we would replace that time with learning about different religions and philosophies. Truth be told we get along wonderfully even though she is religious; we can even talk about religion. It was pretty difficult though for a while. Does anyone have grown children that are religious? How have you navigated your relationship?

Lilie 6 Dec 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Your Kids Always going to be your kids. Do not let religion or god to be between you two. There is that bond that never should be broken. Find the way because I am sure she is looking for the way to reach you too.

I have never had that experience ( THANK GOD!! LOL) I am an Atheist, all of my kids are too, but when my middle son was 16 he suddenly expressed interest in becoming am priest (a CATHOLIC- abstaining priest!) I told him he could chose whatever he wanted, but that such a decision should wait until he was out of high school. It 17 he met a girl and I think he lost his virginity too. That was the end of wanting to be a priest. He is now a militant atheist.

For me it is the other way round. its my parents that are religious. We respect each others rights to hold a belief, but it is a notable barrier in the relationship. I told them that I don't say there is definately no god, but that anyone who has tried to convince me that there is a god has failed to provide me with any evidence. I conform my beliefs to evidence presented to me by realityt, I can't think of a more honest way of forming an opinion than this. Its at this point in the argument when they recognise that you beleifs are not out of hatred or ignorance, you just care about the truth enough not to apply bias when forming an opinion about something. if your daughter doesnt spend her time trying to convert you, just accept that she is getting something out of her religion and respect her rights to hold a religious beleif

We raised our six kids to question everything. And if don't get what you think is a good answer, don't buy it. Currently they range in age from 43 to 55, and none of them are religious. One daughter is married to a man who claims to be christian, but doesn't go the church, and their kids don't. Have 14 grand kids and one the grandsons who is 25 is going to a church occasionally, but don't think he has totally jumped off the edge. The other 13 are unchurched. So, so far it's good. We probably have some peer pressure to not be religious.

personally, i wouldn't have told her not to go but I would tell her my own view. it's choice and like you do her she should be happy for you.

I'm 65. My kids are 44, 43, and 40. 44 and 40 are Catholic. 43 is Baptist. Wife is Catholic. My wife knows im an agnostic. It's crazy over here. It would kill my son's family if they knew about me... they're devout Catholics. That's how it is over here.

Sad that you cannot express YOUR truth but they feel free to express their myths - good luck!

@Teresa. Thanks

I’ve a 25 year old daughter, too.. I’ve always led with love, then by example. They’re too old to force feed, so I’d maintain a safe environment for her to discuss anything. Yes, lead by example. I assume mine’s smarter than me, not wiser, but quicker.. With that, they’ll spot the discrepancies and hypocrisies of religion without our help. Just let her know you’ll be there ~

Varn Level 8 Dec 30, 2017

My daughter is a Christian (11). I allow her to believe as she wishes.

My son is 12 and I just answer his questions as honestly and accurately as I can.

I do the same, but I’m not going to force my opinions on her.

Don't have any kids but I hope you're always able to communicate with her. At least she's been exposed to different beliefs. Has she married/got an SO? What's going on with their beliefs?

She’s been with her boyfriend for about 3 years. He’s Christian too but we get along fairly well.

@Lilie That's good to hear.

My kids will be My Kids no matter what. Honestly they could be a shade from being hitler and I still will love them so I will find a common ground... I don't need to accept lifestyle or actions I won't cover them up or allow them to take a life but... I won't walk away from them.

kids , can't live with em, can't live without em. I got in big doo doo when I refused to show at our grandson's christening to the point of not being invited to the first birthday. Neither of my boys were baptised but now one is. At the grandaughters xning my son had to admit the priest was talking a load of manure and I'm now back in the fold but my heart goes out to you. imagine if your kid decides to circumcise your grand kid on religious grounds . then I'd die

My atheist brother’s ex-girlfriend went behind my brother’s back and got my nephew circumcised when he was six months old!

shasbah

My disabled daughter received her Hebrew name in temple as an infant, was baptized by her born-again Christian father unbeknownst to me and believes in New Age and Wicca. I have supported her beliefs in Wicca and at her request got her tarot cards. Whatever she wants to believe in is fine with me.

I don't go to church, and they do.
They don't push the subject, and neither do I.
However, I do have quite a few Buddha statues around @ lol

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11599
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.