Agnostic.com

5 0

How do you deal with going to churches for funerals, wedding, baptisms and etc.?

I have had to go to weddings, funerals and baptisms for family members and didn't stand or bow my head or say what ever they all were saying and felt awkward about it. How do you deal with that situations?

Saramarie 4 Oct 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Before going to a cousin's wedding in a Catholic church, my brother said he didn't want to do all the kneeling or singing or taking communion or whatever. I was like, "you don't have to do anything you don't want to do! I won't be doing those things." I think we weren't the only ones, though I wasn't really looking around.

Are there any other non-believers in your family who would prefer not to partake? If so, maybe you can sit together and feel a little more comfortable. If not, hopefully it helps in a small way to know that you're not the only one like us. 🙂

I went to an uncles funeral a few years ago and felt a strong urge to get up and walk out when the priest started blathering about nonsense. But I just sat silently instead. Partially because I felt too much anxiety about making a scene but mostly because I thought it best to just let my family receive whatever peace of mind this guy could offer them.

Step right in... as an old soul I learned that not everything surrounding me is about me. I just lost a brother in love Nov 18 and my Sister not doing that well about it. So I have to set aside my feelings, inclinations and way of thinking for the Good of Her. Even if lead me to be stuck in Maryland for a while, What gives... I am retired... is my sister and we always been close. She Need from Me now. There will be the time for you to let everyone know how you feel. Patience is a Virtue. Something I do with the Big Things that bother me... I make them Small and once small I am Not bother by little things. But congratulations at such young age you finding things out. And there is So Much More in Your Journey.

I never feel awkward or anything other than at ease. I am there for the person or persons involved not for the religious overtones.

I go without any feeling of bad , I deal with that as a friendly situation i do to my friends or family ; even so I don't believe in what they believe .

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1163
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.