Agnostic.com

6 1

Activism and atheism

If we all of us have problems with things chirstian fanatics are pushing for what are you doing about it?

Traveling4ever 4 Dec 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am telling others. They have no idea about Atheists. I like enlightening people. I also like listening to Seth Andrews, "The Thinking Atheist." I am subscribed to American Atheists.

Knowledge, education -- these are the only ways to combat ignorance. Unfortunately, indoctrination is a difficult foe. Presence. Social media. Conversing. Not proselytizing, of course, but being vocal is fundamental to change. I already see immense strides occurring. Positivity helps, too, as frustrating as the religious can be.

that is the question. the answer : sweet F A . I was treasurer for the halton humanists . our sphere encompasses 1 million people . we had 20 members none of which could organize a piss up in a brewery. [maybe one member]. We need psychopaths to lead us like the corporations and churches have !

Try to picture the 70's... there were former hippies now being like "hippies for christ"... we called them the "jesus loves you freaks". Long Hair, hippie clothes... Lost some friends to it for a while. It was like they had a "bad trip" and ended up trapped inside the bible. My high school wingman and me used to tortured them with rhetoric. Sometimes they used the bible like the new drug we should take to be alive. When one of them told us that he was injecting christ instead of heroin!!!! It was Sad but those were the days... Last Great Decade in America. Post Woodstock to Disco. And everything in between. Now comes "tech jesus" 21st century version in a flash drive.

I helped physically shut down a mega-phone street preacher at a recent demonstration.

I'm not an activist, and I'm not as adamant in my opposition as some people are. I think we can vote in favor of science and against faith-based initiatives, for human rights and against bigotry. Perhaps we can donate to science, technology, medicine, etc. But I'm otherwise unconcerned with taking to the streets to change anyone's mind. I don't have the energy for it, even if I had the inclination.

@NASTYNEIL I pick my battles on a case-by-case basis. I'm well aware of the harm done by religion, but I think anti-religion activists are painting with too broad a brush. For me it's like saying that disease is bad and leads to a lot of deaths, and then trying to eradicate all diseases including the common cold instead of focusing on cancer and heart disease and AIDS and malaria. We, the nonreligious, have the luxury in the U.S. to be openly nonreligious because of the freedom of religion afforded to us by the First Amendment; we protect our own interests by protecting others' right to worship freely. I have no doubt that the FFRF does some good, as does the ACLU and various other organizations, but I think it all starts at the ballot box and that there are underlying problems that must be addressed (e.g., gerrymandering and monied interests in politics). I just think we're facing deeper threats to our democracy, but even then I wouldn't consider myself to be an activist so much as an informed citizen.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11668
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.