Agnostic.com

6 3

LINK Mary McAleese: Baptised children ‘infant conscripts’

Babies baptized into the Catholic Church are “infant conscripts who are held to lifelong obligations of obedience”, according to former president Mary McAleese.

Saying that early Baptism breaches fundamental human rights, she said: “You can’t impose, really, obligations on people who are only two weeks old and you can’t say to them at seven or eight or 14 or 19 ‘here is what you contracted, here is what you signed up to’ because the truth is they didn’t.”

zblaze 7 June 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's why I hate the Jedi

It's wrong for all the reason given here. It's unscriptural too. Or is it? Here's an interesting scripture:

Even at that hour of the night, the jailer cared for them and washed their wounds. Then he and everyone in his household were immediately baptized.

That's in Acts 16:33. Could it possibly have included children and infants? I very much doubt it but does anyone have any concrete evidence one way or the other?

My single biggest issue with religious indoctrination of the very young is the genital mutilation that typically goes along with it. Everything else can be reversed in time.

I agree. These babies are being appropriated, as if they were not human babies, so that is necessarily a mistake and a mistreatment right off the bat.

Blinders are being put on their eyes because they're being involuntarily and unwittingly induced into a way of thinking that does not support any semblance of intellect.

Orthodox and conservative religions seek to create hideous institutions which derive their property of being hideous because they use old, asynchronous ideas that were not proven. They try to make people come to common agreement with others in an imposed, irrespective manner, and their teachings are also dubious so this violates rights to free association.

Children, above all else, need to be valued and cultivated, not made into human cattle. They are a vulnerable demographic and are highly sensitive to the pricklings, chafings, twists, deception, and wrenchings of religious upbringing, which are more akin to the ways that primitive animals raise their children, not real adult humans with a semblance of greatness.

Adult humans are the shepherds, makers, teachers, fighters, protectors and leaders of existence and their pervasive and foundational dominion is necessary to posit in existence.

Higher principles beyond religion are more dominant, and pertinent.

So yes, before people decide to drink the orthodox and/or conservative kool-aid (and most likely any kind of religious belief), they should try to think of the babies first.

People who cannot think about these babies are not fit to make decisions on how they grow up, this is necessarily a fact-based scenario.

I’m glad the scales have fallen from her eyes. I think someone in her own family, maybe a brother, was abused by a priest when he was an altar boy. The scandals in Ireland over the abuse by nuns and priests. and how the Catholic Church handled it has rocked Ireland to it‘s core. Of course its child abuse for any child to be labelled from birth as an adherant to any religion. As Richard Dawkins so rightly said ”there is no such thing as a Christian child or a Muslim child, there are only children”.

For an Irish person, she was slow to pick up on the injustices. They're usually very smart and just sensible overall.

@DZhukovin Unfortunately she was also referring to herself. She was one of the brainwashed from birth. Mary McAleese is Northern Irish and both sides here are as bad as each other. We have the most extreme form of Protestantism on one side and the Catholic Church with their abuses in the other. It is however one of the most beautiful places to live and on a one to one basis the people are lovely.

@Marionville

Go to Canada. Irish people flourish there and you can go to Boston in USA for vacations or whatever.

They have to realize that these strong religious organizations are planning in the dark, and are thus necessarily overly authoritarian.

I agree with the sentiment.

I had some tap water poured over my head when I was an infant, by a man in a frock, surrounded by extended family.

It made no difference. In my mind I'm showing the finger to all religions.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:117032
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.