Agnostic.com

6 5

If you say "I respect women" but you don't respect fat women, you do not respect women.

If you say "I respect women" but you don't respect sex workers, you do not respect women.

If you say "I respect women" but you don't respect trans women, you do not respect women.

If you say "I respect women" but you don't respect women who don't want to fuck you, you do not respect women.

If you say "I respect women" but you don't respect hijabi women, you do not respect women.

If you say "I respect women" but you don't respect immigrant women, you do not respect women.

If you say "I respect women" but you don't respect women who have slept with more people than you have, you do not respect women.

If you say "I respect women" but you don't respect Black women, you do not respect women.

If you say "I respect women" but you don't respect older women, you do not respect women.

If you say "I respect women" but you don't respect disabled women, you do not respect women.

If you say "I respect women" but you don't respect homeless women, you do not respect women.

If you say "I respect women" but you don't respect women who have had an abortion, you do not respect women.

If you say "I respect women" but you don't respect women with mental illness, you do not respect women.

If you say "I respect women" but you don't respect young mothers, you do not respect women.

If you say "I respect women" but you don't respect women with body hair, you do not respect women.

If you say "I respect women" but you don't respect women on welfare, you do not respect women.

This goes for those of any gender who claim to "respect" women. Respect shouldn't be reserved for conventionally attractive, white, "able-bodied," young women with all their shit together and an easy-to-accept lifestyle. If that's the only women you "respect," it's only enforcing oppressive expectations and roles on women. It's not respect.

ShuMei2018 7 June 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Respectfully, I disagree. I agree with the concept, but never grant "respect" to groups of people. I grant respect to individuals. I try not to DISrespect anyone, but very occasionally I run into somebody so disrespectful of others that I might try to deflect or attack that disrespect. That said, I try to give each new individual in my life a chance to earn my respect. Most do. Some don't. I usually walk away from those that don't. Sometimes I can't walk away. But in no case does it matter what gender, religion, racial origin or body type etc. they exhibit. I treat people the same. That doesn't mean I will respect all of them.

If you have to make a statement announcing that you respect something, then it probably means you donβ€˜t. Respect is shown by actions not words.

It's never accurate to make blanket statements, either good or bad, about any group of people.

Even Trump supporters have some nice folks out there. Misguided, but nice. I work on their garages quite frequently.

It's the same with women from all walks of life. Some are good people. Some are assholes.

And some are crazy bitches . And I do respect crazy bitches I just don't want them bitching at me .

You could have just kept it to the last paragraph and gotten your point across just fine.

ShuMei, I see you mean well with this post but it makes me want to comment. πŸ™‚ My only problem with the list itself is that you name some cultural and religious groups and omit others. I understand the intent, but, if you're going to list any, by all means don't exclude any. That sure leaves a door open to bad characters.
Also, are you addressing this group of guys, or just speaking in general? My impression is the guys in this community, older and younger, seem pretty astute when it comes to treating women as equals. And over all, I'm pretty impressed with how far American men have come especially the last few decades.

@ShuMei2018 I am part Jewish, I understand minority status for women. But, I think...know your audience. What was your purpose for posting this here and I mean that in an uncritical way. What is the response you wanted? Are you addressing men here that have been misogynistic?

@ShuMei2018 ok...so you're posting this because it's relevant to your personal experience. That's okay. I was just commenting. Glad you've joined our community! πŸ™‚

I agree.

I have had my fill of misogynists. Luckily they are few and far between, but they really get under my skin. I block them because life is too short.

You can't reason with them because they are invested in their hate.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:117123
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.