Agnostic.com

15 7

LINK Seven reasons why the Internal Combustion Engine is a dead man walking – Tom Raftery's Internet of Things

Globally, the era of the internal combustion engine is coming to an end and electrical engines will be what replaces them. A good article that makes sound arguments for why this is so.

Surfpirate 9 June 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

While I like electric vehicles they are not a panacea. All those batteries will need huge quantities of chemicals. Imagine how many steps we need to refine lithium from ore to a battery pack, 2 the most likely source of electricity is still fossil fuels, 3 ICE engines are well known and though complex they are reliable in a way that electric cars are not. What I mean by this is that you do not see ICE cars catching fire often and when they do we know how to put them out, but how do you put out a burning Lithium battery? The recent Tesla fire illustrates the issues with this. The more important thing to me is solar cells. I also wonder if they will be able to make electric planes some time soon. ICE engines do have the advantage of not having to carry half their fuel which is one reason why they win out in the air. They are also still the lightest engines for the size power and range. Don't fool yourself into thinking that an ICE car will ever have a shorter range then a battery car the equivalent weight in fuel to that of a car battery would allow for far in excess of the battery range. A Tesla's 1,200 pound battery pack is equivalent to 200 gallons of fuel, even at 10 mpg that is 2,000 miles to the Tesla's 265 miles.

5 x 40 gallon barrels of gasoline would be a bit bulky to store in a car body and the resulting conflagration in the event of an accident would be tricky to put out should it catch fire, I wonder why nobody has come up with that design yet?

@Surfpirate The point was not that this would be done on most cars as designed but it would be fairly simple to redesign a car or truck for this purpose. For that matter Trains are extremely efficient as well, and of course they can also use electric, but usually opt for diesel as it is easier to deal with. The issue is not necessarily one of what fuel to use to move us from point a to point b, but rather how well we do it. What is more economical/efficient for the environment. One mass transit system like buses or subway system or thousands EV cars? These are not clear questions, but it is clear that our consumer economy will choose the EV's because they are shiny and new and will be sold to the individuals for millions. As far as vehicles with ranges of 2,000 + miles the only ones that really need this are planes, and they are flying gas cans. We have made them reasonably safe, so it is possible.

Actually I've been learning a lot about this. And with the changing of chemical composition of batteries batteries will soon become very small. A company called EV West just built a BMW M3 they modified to be all electric it set records in the open class at Pikes Peak. It was then reconfigured and built for range, they got I think it was 714 miles on 1 charge... Lol it's fucking here, screw gas!

KennyB Level 3 June 28, 2018

The guys at EV West are amazing and they helped spur me to develop an EV of my own for buzzing around the island I live on. It's still at the concept stage as I amass components but I hope to get it done this winter.

I'm looking into custom electric baggers and trikes right now. I'd like to build and design them. Maybe pick up a couple cheap blown gassers to convert and get started.

Call me old fashion but there is nothing like the sounds of a well tuned IC engine. I will miss them when they are finally gone.

That's good

DaVon Level 2 June 28, 2018

Mass transit was electrified in most major cities until after WWII. Then the petroleum and auto lobbies worked to have these systems dismantled in favor of single passenger autos.

Much of the energy to charge EVs can come from solar power. If I had aTesla and some solar panels, I could drive for the cost of tires and brake parts.

Also, a new Tesla can recharge fully in 40 minutes. So.. every 350 miles you stop for 40 minutes while the kids run around, you stretch your legs and everyone gets ice cream. How different is that, really, from a road trip in a gasser that needs refueled every 350 miles?

The petroleum industry and auto industry bought up and closed many of the electric trolley lines that had been in operation since before WWI once WWII was over and cheap oil arrived.

Yeah electrical engines are a step up, for sure

Cant wait...

Electric Motors are definitely the future! The power, control, maintenance, and efficiency can't be touched by a combustion engine. You can see this on the small scale with the remote control scale vehicles. Everything RC is switching to brushless electric motors with LiPo batteries. Insane power.

Yes the internal combustion engine is definitely on a downward trajectory but electric vehicles as the replacement isn't carved in stone yet.

Yup. We literally have no more than about 110 years of crude oil to work with, in all the planet. These right-wing doofuses won't work with others on fixing the problem of proliferating alternatives to gas in a sensible way because #MuhInformation

Oil businesses that are unwilling to realize the long-term unfeasibility of fossil fuels should wake up, or suffer of their own stubbornness to fix their supply of crude oil.

Very intetesting article. Thanks for linking.

LENR (cold fusion) power is just around the corner IMO. Another nail in the coffin of the internal combustion engine. The world is about to change dramatically, and I mean starting this year.

[e-catworld.com]

It would be great if that were to happen.

@PraiseXenu I don’t understand how anyone can think it’s not true. It was true in’89 and it’s true today, with numerous government groups and large corporations getting patents. And there is continuous experimentation by universities around the world. Here’s a small sample:

[e-catworld.com]

@PraiseXenu Many people know that it’s true. Wikipedia has a policy of debunking anything new and revolutionary.

@PraiseXenu

[currentscience.ac.in]

[newenergytimes.com]

[lenr-canr.org]

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

That last one is some internal Wikipedia discussions.

@PraiseXenu Yes, the prominent journals are staying away. There was recently a LENR summary in the premier physics journal of India I believe.

If this whole thing falls through I’ll be very disappointed.

sadly, this is true. as an old petrol head and owner of an old Beamer 750 il at 12 mpg, in 50 years, we will not be driving petrol cars. in 50 years the world economy will not be based on an oil economy, or gas, but electricity does not come free. Ultimately it will be nuclear

As inventions go, its had a good run - about 120 years now. Think of the VCR, was huge and now its obsolete, it came and went in about 30 years.

gater Level 7 June 28, 2018

I believe a collectors market will continue to last for quite a while though.

The first step could/should be the big bulk of small and medium size cars. However, heavy duty vehicles like 18 wheelers (to move goods all over), and other heavy machinery (large variety) still have a long way too go. Now, if electrical technology new developments allow to handle heavy workload and the combustion engine really goes away then hang on to your seats because the world would take a radical turn. If the west breaks off oil dependency then ...oh well, not going there right now but, lot of people will suffer dearly.

Tesla, Daimler and a few other have already started making electric tractor trailer rigs, diesel will be the first to go, buses and mass transit are already moving in that direction as well.

@Surfpirate another piece I completely missed to include into consideration.... Too much invested, oil dependency may go on until the last drop is completely burned

@IamNobody possibly so but you can't sell a product if nobody wants it and if EV's break the price point and recharge barriers there will be nothing to hold them back.
Wouldn't you rather drive a vehicle that had better performance, was cheaper to operate and easier to maintain if it cost the same money as a gas car?

@Surfpirate I hear you, all I can say to wrap this up, the implications are so profound that it will be very interesting if this big milestone happens in our lifetime

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:117960
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.