Agnostic.com

29 4

Why can't Americans disagree respectfully?

Why do Americans resort to name calling, rather than civil discussions when discussing politics?

GoodMan 7 Oct 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments (26 - 29)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

America is a large country with a cosmopolitan mix divided by large groups who will never drop their principles and religious beliefs complemented by a gun culture. However saying that it's not just Americans it people.

I would like to respectfully disagree with your generalization about Americans.

because its not that they disagree, its that its a competition

Please explain 🙂

oh i thought ur post was about how people argue about politics lol, even with religious stuff tho, i feel like christians vs atheists or any sort of divide ends up turning into a fight cuz they are part of Group A and dislike Group B so they want Group A to seem superior rather than talking about why they choose to believe one thing instead of another

Hi Sarcasm: I understand your points about disagreement and competition; however, I was looking for an explanation for why you believe people choose an adversarial/confrontational approach, rather than dialogue. My request for an explanation wasn't intended to suggest that your answer was insufficient, but I wanted a path to follow your reasoning more vividly. Thanks for responding 🙂

I didn't take you asking me to explain in a bad way, after you asked me to explain i read your question again and realized i didn't actual read what you were asking properly lol. I assumed you were talking about how americans have a 'youre with us or against us' mentality when it comes to politics, but i realized it could apply to any kind of disagreement people have. I guess my main point is that when people disagree on something, usually things theyre passionate about, i think they start to see it as a fight between two ideologies as if its a fight between 2 teams and that if you are proven wrong you somehow 'lost'. Even though the main point should be about why you believe what you do and whether or not your beliefs are the right beliefs, and that if they are wrong and you change your mind to grow and understand things better instead of assuming that if your beliefs are wrong it makes you somehow the 'loser'.

Both sides and all sides do it.
It's the American way I guess...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1190
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.