Agnostic.com

34 5

Aren't we all agnostic?

Heard an interesting statement today.
To paraphrase: We're all agnostic. Believers, atheists, the whole lot.
Agree, or disagree?
Why?
Thanks! 😀

Billy2010A 3 Jan 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments (26 - 34)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

At certain times yes. At other times many people fall back to their comfort zone of having to believe in "something".

Bah, Hunbug! (Loved writing that!)
To the extent that I am ready to get loud & nasty with a supposed "diety" for his/her/its' nastiness & stupidity should one show up, I guess you may be right...........

Maybe when we were first born......but than we got conditioned

No. Maybe everyone has something they have doubts on, but not in a 'in some universe' level. Speaking of which universe stuff is what we have scientists and astronauts for.

I guess if you base it on the “without knowledge” meaning, sure. If you take it a bit less literally and apply it to how people feel re: beliefs, you’re not as correct. Some people are fully in on that religion and spirituality.

Gnostic. (believe in everything) Agnostic (believe in nothing)

Gnostic relates to knowledge, not belief.

I'm just being simplistic

An atheist defines as a lack of belief in God.

So what on the sliding scale makes an atheist turn into an Agnostic or vise versa?
If you were to put your belief on a scale from 0-10 with 0 being 100% sure god doesn't exist and 10 being 100% sure god does exist agnostics would be about a 5 and agnostic atheists would be about a 7. If I have any doubts, my mind will over focus on the doubt, ending closer results.

To confuse things more R Dawkins says he is an Agnostic at 99 percent sure that God dose not exist. For earthlings like us only having access of 1 percent knowledge about our planet. Making it an extreme claim for anyone to call themselves a atheist of a 100percent, unless they are God and knows everything.

Although the word agnostic has several definitions of usage, its etymology derives from the Greek a-gnostic as in a = without and gnostic = knowledge. So its literal meaning is without knowledge.

In some areas we are all agnostic, but common usage generally relates to knowledge of god. As some theists claim to know that a god exists, they will claim that they are not agnostic.

Most atheists are agnostic atheists in that they disbelieve theist claims to the existence of a god and do not believe a god exists, but understand that they cannot know that it is not possible for a god to exist.

They will claim that they are not agnostic (but we know better).

An etymology is not a definition.

@bingst - yep, entymology is gay.

@Nutpoacher It was a joke - to show how the root and meaning of the word "gay" has changed over the years from happy to homosexual - I know its meaning rather than root but ......OK even I'm bored with explaining this now - just put it down to cultural difference in humour - sorry!!!!

I have always asked that question. Before computers I looked each word up in Webster. Brief definition and did not relate, So good to see your post , I am learning much more about the gnostic and what they held in their mind verses the main stream jesus.

What is your definition of agnostic?

I don't know. I must say I am agnostic about it

Fuck! I'm exhausted trying to keep up....and I thought I was a deep thinker.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11948
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.