Agnostic.com

4 0

Voting should be compulsory in all countries as it is in Australia and New Zealand. It's the only way to get an honest result. We are fined if we don't vote.

Graeme 4 Jan 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would support mandatory voting just to remove the temptation of voter support from politicians. Plus I believe in a proportional representation and mandatory voting would be one aspect of that. That being said there should always be an I object option for those that don’t like any of the candidates. Plus if you don’t vote, I wouldn’t make the enforcement mechanism (probably a fine) onerous (maybe $3)

Myah Level 6 Jan 4, 2018

I would love to see voting day as a national holiday in America. I would also love to see it easier, like voting online or something to that effect. I do not think it should be a mandatory thing, but certainly an easier one.

I disagree with making it compulsory as people would either vote without consideration or punished too severely should they be unable to get to the polls.

I do think that it should be made easier for people to vote.

There is rarely a candidate left wing enough for me standing in my constituency in the UK. Why should I be forced to vote for a candidate I cannot fully support?

I agree - during the Blair Years, I found myself unable to vote Labour (as I'd done my whole life) because I didn't like much of what the party was doing and our local candidate was basically a Tory with a red rose badge. There's absolutely no way I'd even consider voting Conservative, the LibDems were hopeless at the time and the only other choice locally was the BNP - I'd rather be shot than vote for them (note to non-UK people: the British National Party are a far-right white supremacist/islamophobic/antisemitic bunch of thugs). So, since I disagreed with all the options, why should I be forced to give one of them my support?

@Jnei Same here - left the Labour Party over the revision of Clause IV.

@twodeadwombles Me too. I hope, should Corbyn win the next election (possibly later this year with the way the Tory party is going) and the party begin to move further left, Clause VI will be reinstated - and then, I'll rejoin.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12046
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.