Agnostic.com

10 3

Why is it that rapists murders and general criminals only have to confess to a priest to get forgiveness. And the priest cant/won't incriminate them to the authorities.?! This is a criminal act in itself. Withholding information, harbouring guilty criminals etc. And some of these criminals are very religious what does this tell you about churches and religions. Not forgetting the cover ups of of pedophilias and rapists within the church.

Graeme 4 Jan 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well, they get forgiveness from an imaginary entity, so take that for what it's worth.

As for the legal privilege, which is different than legal forgiveness, it's in place for the purpose of accommodating religious practices. It can be changed if there is sufficient political will for it. In some cases, that's not an out of sight proposition -- there is talk in many states of eliminating the clerical privilege for things like child molestation.

Finally, we of all people should be quick to recognize that a person's religiosity has nothing to do with their moral worth. Therefore we should be absolutely unsurprised to find that people who purport to be religious do bad things.

With regard to child abuse, Australia has just completed a Royal Commision (which when it commenced was described by conservative politicians as an attack on the catholic church). The RC has recommended that the confessional no longer be exempt from reporting laws. Here's the church response.[catholicculture.org]

Unfair. There are criminals everywhere. There are people who will harbor them: family; friends; lovers; other members of the criminal enterprise. Sure. Churches get easy-outs for it. But don't single them out to ignore the hundreds of thousands of people who do harbor fugitives and ignore the monsters in their midst.

And how many of those other people would be religious do you think?? Its also incredible how the churches can hide so many crimes including peadophilia that there own priests etc are guilty of. I gaurantee you we don't hear about half of them.

Rape is not a serious crime. It is not as serious as taking the lord's name in vain. It didn't make the top 10. Rape is not even a crime against the woman, but the man who possesses her. Since her father is just going to sell her, if she's unmarried, you just pay him the bride price and you can't divorce her. I don't know that pedophilia is even wrong according to the bible.

As far as confession, I am okay with it being sealed to some degree. I think the seal of the confessional should be the same as the right to privacy with your therapist, so there are exceptions and mandated responsibility to report if there is a threat of future harm. I would also like that same level of confidentiality with my bartender, but I accept that it may not happen any time soon. Bartenders and priests were our first professional therapists, so while they exist, they should be given that same therapeutic privilege.

Your a fucking arsehole and so is your church if this is the way you think.

For some reason authorities see churches the same way as lawyers and treats that information the same way. I don't understand it either, but it needs to stop.

One of the worst horror stories - an 8 year old girl was raped. She begged her mother for help. Her mother called her a slut and ordered her to go to confession. The priest called her sinful and ordered the child to do penance. This was back in the 80's. I am sure it still goes on the present time.

SKH78 Level 8 Jan 1, 2018

Yep, it is a crime when a priest keeps it a secret that someone is a rapist, pedophile, killer ... lots of heinous criminals are pillars of their churches. Working in Child Protection, I have met many child molesters who are wealthy, successful, popular and pillars of fundamentalist churches. Their pastors and church members defend, protect and enable them ... and they always get their children back very soon. If they don't, the authorities know that the rich pedophiles will get the best lawyers in town and fight for ten years.

SKH78 Level 8 Jan 1, 2018

half the priests are child molesters

of course, they are for sure, choir boys haven't got partings in the middle of there hair for nothing.

I think in the UK the same rules apply as in doctor/patient lawyer/client confidentiality. It is confidential unless there is some threat of harm to the person or third party. In such cases it must be reported.

yes psychiatrists must report imminent danger. I am not sure how the rule applies to other specialites but all medical professionals are bound to report abuse, adult or child

this is US

Good point.Same as the priests who hear confessions? They don't report to the authorities either. Or in Godfather III(my least favorite of the trilogy) the Mafia was in cahoots with the Vatican? We don't know if its based on fact? I knew one of the victims of pediophilia in the Church in NH,

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12051
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.