Agnostic.com

4 5

Food for Thought.....

Sometimes FB actually brings up an old post I don't mind re-reading.

Exactly 6 years ago, this is what I wrote....

It appears that many things divide people: different cultures, religions, political pursuasions, appearances, and of course, language. But really it's only one thing that truly divides us: fear.

And so, with that in mind, I believe that there are several things that connect people despite all these apparent differences. I believe food brings people together. Americans travel thousands of miles each year to carve a turkey together for Thanksgiving. Australians crack a tinny and throw some lamb, steaks, seafood or whatever is going on the barbie on Australia Day.

There are examples of the 'breaking of bread together' in every single culture. Almost anywhere you go on Earth a valued guest is honoured with a feast or lovingly prepared meal. You can go all the way from Buckingham Palace to an outback camp to a hidden jungle village to see this is the case. So - food brings people together.

Smiles also bring people together. Sounds all hippy-ish, but think about it; no matter where you go on earth a smile is a sign of good will. So smile more. I fail at this regularly, so I'm looking in the mirror as I say that. It's a fallacy that it takes more muscles to frown than it does to smile - you engage several more muscles smiling. However, the difference in the effect it has on both the person who smiles and the person the smile is received by is infinitely more valuable than that of a frown.

Acceptance also brings people together, and breaks down barriers. You don't have to like another person's position, but accept their right to that position, and walls may start to fall. Finally, the willingness to try and understand. None of us will ever truly understand everyone's beliefs, practices or set of morals from around the world. But to simply TRY and understand goes a very long way.

Everywhere you turn you seem to hear about all the bad in the world. All the wars, the hatred, the danger. But really, the world is a very beautiful place. And I can't wait to experience such incredible beauty as found in the landscapes and, more importantly, the people around this precious planet of ours.

My goal will be to do my best to break down the walls of fear, both within me and in the situations I find myself in. To touch human nature itself, as often as possible, in as many forms and variations that I'm fortunate enough to come upon. My platinum level travel insurance won't cover me if I travel to certain countries, like the Republic of Congo or Iran. However, I currently live with two Iranians, and despite our differences at times, they are good guys. I also share with a man from Zimbabwe who is as black as the ace of spades. Incidentally, Tawanda will read this and knows where my heart is.

As many of you know, I used to date a South African woman. And her and her family had very strong beliefs. I could, to an extent, understand where they were coming from. And yet, I sat down with Tawanda and several of his friends and openly asked them about the troubles in the south of Africa.

And listened.

I have not yet been to that part of the world. But I have seen it through the eyes of my ex girlfriend and her family. And I have heard it via my room mate and his friends. Two very, very different perspectives. And yet, I feel connected to both positions, I feel empathy for both. Do I or even will I ever really understand all the subtle undertones of the ways of life in the southern nations of Africa? Of course not. But I will continue to TRY to understand.

I pride myself on being able to hold my own in any social setting. Be that having dinner (there you go, breaking bread together) with heads of state and dignitaries (which I've done), to hanging with the labourers and talking about sport and fishing, to enjoying an engaging conversation with people of vastly different political, social, religious, and ethical beliefs to me.

I have my biases. Of course I do. But I do my best to acknowledge them and face them, whenever I can. To dissolve my own fear.

The number one reason I am looking forward to this trip is simply knowing that I will be touched by the lives of so many different people around the world, and as I do, perhaps my fears will diminish, and my acceptance and love for others grow.

We are all connected. Each and every one of us is unique and, more importantly, valuable. Look at others that way, and suddenly you'll see the world a heck of a lot clearer - it's a beautiful place with incredible people. Anyway, that's my plan of attack for 2012. What's yours?

As I said, that was 2012, before I embarked on an epic journey. 6 years on, the goal hasn't really changed much.

I still have some biases. But I'm still trying to understand.....

Who, in your life, have you found that by breaking bread with that person that walls started to crumble, prejudice began to waiver?

Kreig 7 Jan 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thanks... very nicely put

When I was in grade school I remember my teacher explaining about different cultures and accepted greetings around the world. He told the story of a group of archeologists traveling and meeting primitive peoples. As they chanced upon an undiscovered society their first instinct was to greet them with a smile. They were immediately killed. It turns out that the smile was interpreted as a growl (such of a big cat). They viewed it as a prelim to an attack. So use a cautious grin instead. lol

What a wonderful post @Kreig. You are expressing what I've been trying to share for years. As far as breaking bread you are absolutely right on. After being rejected and ostracized by the Jewish community in my home town my new friends were brown, spoke Spanish and were generous with what little they had. We would eat rice and beans seasoned with sofrito, fried plaintains chicken or pork intomato sauce mixed w rice. A feast. Now I'm hungry.Time for lunch lol.

In our brown community, the sharing of whatever we cook is an honor and a pleasure...if you ever go to a country like mine, Brazil, you will see that even if you show up out of the blue..there always will be some rice and beans with pork, chicken to share...awww and coffee...looking at their simple houses no cable, no wi-fi ....you will feel at home....

My buddies I studied with in my trades. We all reached levels and congratulated each other as we moved forward. Work force trades involve all cultures. We all ended up with our credentials. Some sooner than others. Any person I worked with had to prove that they qualified to be there. It's a badge of honor with humility. I had persons I worked with that didn't get hired by my plant and had to get a job as a contractor. Its sad but its life. I made more than them and i was the final word. I always respected them. You have those that lead and those that follow. I respected them.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12206
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.