Agnostic.com

8 1

Is unlimited sustainability of our species feasible or will there be a crash at some point?

Are we straining the earth's ability to sustain us now?

atheist 8 Jan 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

For hundreds, and hundreds of centuries 300,000 people lived on this planet, then the industrial revolution happened, we didn't have it easy, but we were less taxing on the planet. We need to elect the Green party, not the rich fat cats, us mice have been electing, from the bottom up, top down don't work.

Our species, like all others, will eventually go extinct. A new species may or may not evolve from Homo sapiens, but sooner or later (hopefully later) the last Homo sapiens will die.

No one really knows, but by numerous measures we are pushing a number of limits.

of course, its going to crash and soon

oh, it will be everywhere so you don't have to travel.

the crash with A I would me my guess unless a man-made virus gets us first

[theonion.com]

This article is scary-it says we need to eliminate 1/3 of the world's population.

Thanks I missed that lol

There was a TED talk I saw recently (which I can't seem to find right now), about how much of the Earth's surface was being used for food, and how much of that seemed to be near maximum local food production capacity. The speaker indicated (if I remember right) something along the lines that if humanity does not exceed 10 billion (as a number of sociologists suggest it may peak at, simply by birth rate projections), the food production reaches optima at places where it can still be improved, and some improvements are made to decrease wasted foods in developed countries and distribute to less-developed ones, then Humanity's food supply could be sustainable.

That's kind of where I stand: a tentative, cautious optimism.

@atheist I don't think they focused much on the effects of instabilities.

The Earth is a self sustaining biosphere. Over 4 1/2 billion years, it suffered innumerable collisions with comets, asteroids, and visits from Sleestaks. How many intelligent species rose and fell with mass extinctions? How many of them are still here...or moved off world into he Universe? Crash? Absolutely. Look up the experiment called "rat city". It might reflect the outcome of a population threshold.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12221
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.