Agnostic.com

35 12

Anybody else love churches?

I have zero use for what happens in them but I absolutely love visiting them on vacation. My son asked me about this recently and my justification was that throughout history the "church" had the money so their buildings are some of the best representations of period art and architecture.

Crimson67 8 Jan 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments (26 - 35)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

some of the sculpture is to die for !! seville and wells cathedrals in particular. the vatican is quite something .bellini i think . almost real. but the best for me was the buddhist temple in bangkok the kings palace. wells was brill as the choir were singing the harvest song and the sun was shining through the stained glass. You can see how the powers held everyone's attention so long. have you read the pillars of the earth by follett. I'm a carpenter and could so relate to the idea of building such a thing with no true mechanical aid

Visit Europe if you like old churches the domos in Italy are the best.

They are awesome structures for sure.

I share an interest in church buildings as well. I was raised as an Episcopalian at Christ Church, Lexington, KY. A lovely place and one of the oldest buildings in the county. It was built to impress and it delivers unto this day. Sacred spaces when they are grand share many characters in common. One may understand the sense of solemnity they can impress on us even for those of us that do not believe.

Good boy 🙂 I’ve found it impossible to admire them.. If a program is touring one (Rick Steves in Europe), it’s time pee or brush my teeth... I agree, the architecture is something, but considering those resources not having been spread within a community ..sickens me. I’m so bad that when driving, I purposefully ignore them.

Varn Level 8 Jan 2, 2018

the churches in England make great houses

I feel the same - I admire the reverence, the craftsmanship, the history, there are no buildings like them. I think the ideals of altruism, of touching the divine that they are trying to invoke are not incompatible with atheism.

Phil Ochs wrote a song called the cannons of Christianity. The lyrics described how the church was lined with gold while surrounded by poverty. I'm just wondering if any of those vacation churches charge you to visit them?

There is something undeniable when inside a church. It was as if the brick and mortar absorbed something palatable. Tangible. How would things change in the world if all of us could channel that sort of "something" without dogma?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12228
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.