Agnostic.com

28 7

Can you "read" a person?

I can pick up a sense about someone, by the way they act or what they say (or don't say), but I'm not a mind-reader and don't know what they're feeling unless they tell me.

Growing up it was almost expected that I was supposed to "know," so I was always guessing and living in anticipation of everything, and of course if I read someone incorrectly it was my fault. And it kind of screwed with my head because I thought that's what people did, so I learned not to say anything, but then I would also be disappointed when people weren't "reading" me and didn't act the way I liked. And if they were direct with me, it would freak me out because I wasn't used to that, either.

Never really learned to say what I felt - or even that I had a right to say it - until I was an adult, and even then it was a learning curve. I've even been called on it a few times by trusted friends, who make me feel safe enough about it to acknowledge, "oh yeah, you're right." As I've gotten older I think I've gotten much more bold in my directness, and in doing so I'm also noticing 1) I'm more and more comfortable with other people who are direct, 2) more aware of how much people aren't that way, and 3) more aware how some are taken aback by what I say. And I'm not even saying anything unkind, just speaking straight.

Makes it so much easier though than to try and "read" each other.

bleurowz 8 July 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments (26 - 28)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've experienced that a great deal myself. It's more of an intuition type of thing instead of actually "reading" someone's thoughts and emotions. Being a strong empath allows that to happen. You take in people's energies, whether they're good or bad, and circumvent that by getting a broad understanding of what they're feeling from what they say and do. It's a blessing and a curse though. Before getting a good handling on dealing with all this, it's not to take in negative energy and it affect your own mood. With time and patience, eventually it just becomes second nature, and it really shines when people come to you for help. Having an understanding of knowing where someone is coming from does wonders on providing them advice and the like. That last part was kind of off topic to what you were saying, but still haha. Being able to possess such talents aren't all that uncommon, it's just kind of strange trying to tell someone that doesn't know what it's like how it all works.

I totally relate to what you are saying. I have come to the realization that I may have empathic qualities. Not something that I would have chosen for myself, non the less it is what it is and I try to use it for good...sometimes much to my discomfort.

@patchoullijulie Well you can't necessarily pick whether you're instilled with such qualities though. It's a card you're dealt, so you have to deal with the good and the bad that comes with it. That's all you can do, is learn how to block out negativity and use it to better yourself and others.

@Hollowbound Agreed.

Yes you can, specially if they have a lot of tattoos !!

Or by the books they read.

One I like to use is do they like dogs

Exactly. Don't like dogs, don't trust you!

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:123226
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.