Agnostic.com

10 8

Did you know that the meat industry uses 70 % of the antibiotics used in the USA?

#USA
Marine 8 July 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I wish we could press a planet reset button ?

Undo all the shit we have done to this once pure and beautiful world.

the world as we know it is fucked because of humans

That makes sense. We only use antibiotics when we are sick. The meat industry is apparently giving it to their cows regardless if it is sick or not. I'm sure the point is to keep the cows from getting sick.

Shh, some people may get offended that this is a scare tactic to get them away from eating meat. People who do this must be some sort of commie vegetarians!

didnt know the number but knew they were a major contributor to antibiotic resistance which is a real and present danger

That's quite shocking. And disgusting too.

I would be interested in seeing your source. I understand that the overuse of antibiotics causes drug resistant infections. However, not everyone can afford to eat organic, grass fed meat. Ideally, that’s the perfect case scenario. But, people buy the groceries they can afford.

and when we can no longer treat people for infections due to antibiotic resistance meat consumption will drop dramatically as humans won't be around to consume it. THat is not a risk in the far future, it is present today

Use of growth hormones and antibiotics in the meat industry is the reason I limit my meat consumption. I only eat organic, grass fed (even that category is wide open for abuse) and RGBT /antibiotic free options.

@TheAstroChuck Yes. It is better for the environment and our health. Too bad we can't get more people on board with it!!

Good post, could you provide a source?? Thank you.

Etre Level 7 July 5, 2018

@TheAstroChuck
True just have not seen the 70% before.

@TheAstroChuck

I did not know it was that high. Thank You!

FDA

The FDA states that thew use of these antibiotics is one of the causes that drug resistant bacteria. Colistin a last of the line of defense antibiotic is now being resisted by an e coli found in pigs. The drug companies do not wish to invest in new antibiotics because they become useless to quickly because of the overuse and this reduces profit from the drug.

I tend to agree with their stance. WHy develop drugs that will be overused and become ineffective toward disease no matter the profit margin?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:123258
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.