Agnostic.com

5 0

Possible eating disorder?

So I have friend I’ve been worried about and decided to come on here to get other people’s opinions about it to see if it’s possible she could possibly have an eating disorder. So she apparently doesn’t feel as guilty about eating when it’s a healthy choice, but as soon as she eats something unhealthy, she says there’s this nagging voice in the back of her head, telling her how disgusting she is and how junk food is poison and how she’s going to get fat again. In the back of her mind, she’s always worried about her weight and gaining weight and that nagging thing in the back of her mind seems to always taunt her about certain foods or if she eats a snack late at night and she is suddenly overwhelmed with guilt. Just tell me what do you guys think? I hate to feel like I’m betraying her in some type of way by coming here like this, but I needed other people’s thoughts on it cause it’s possible I may have to take action and go forward to get her help if she needs it or if she’s showing signs of having an eating disorder.

EmeraldJewel 7 July 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Based on my own experiences but more especially on those of a friend, I'd say you're definitely right to be concerned. My friend is obsessed with rigidly sticking to the most outlandlishly stupid diets and, although she eats regularly, has been placed on secure hospital wards several times after losing so much weight she's been in very real danger.

If you do take action, she's probably going to hate you for it - and that hatred is probably going to be sheer vitriol. However, if she gets over it, she'll thank you; be prepared because not everyone does - but even if she doesn't and hates you forever, at least you did something.

Jnei Level 8 July 7, 2018

Orthorexia is a thing.

Lol I had to look further into that word when you said it.

@MissKathleen sure. Unless it starts effecting one's mental health.

Possibly, I have a friend who has been anorexic twice and she will NEVEr eat anything that is not super healthy, and goes right of if people in the same room eat unhealthy food.

Lmfao I hope I don’t sound horrible but I’ve done that before. Super unhealthy food drives me crazy!!!

@MissKathleen Well said!

@MissKathleen Its under control as far as her own eating goes, and I did take her to therapy about it.

@MissKathleen You've hit the nail on the head. I developed an eating disorder as a teenager not so much because I wanted to lose weight (though I did) but because it seemed to be the only thing I could control - my parents and the people around me controlled every other aspect of my life, but every time I pretended to eat and actually smuggled the food out of the house for disposal, convinced them I'd had dinner at a friend's house after school or stuck my fingers down my throat and threw up anything I had had to eat, I felt like I'd won, and it felt good. This, I think, is part of why eating disorders are more prevalent among teenage girls than boys - people tend to feel a greater need to control girls' lives, whereas boys are allowed more leeway to express themselves.

Sounds like she is being too hard on herself, talk to her tell no ones perfect and to enjoy her secret pleasures from time to time ?

No. It is called guilt. She knows she shouldn't be eating something without nutrition & so she is feeling guilty. Give up the carbs & eat colors & foods from different cultures. Drink water or iced tea. Get rid of the soda.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:124227
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.