Agnostic.com

8 6

QUESTION Most Personality Quizzes Are Junk Science. I Found One That Isn’t. | FiveThirtyEight

Many people adhere to personality "types" and I've already gotten on (and off, and back on, and off...) my soapbox about the lack of scientific evidence regarding personality "types". Here's an article that goes into a bit more detail about personality traits (minus scientific jargon).

There's also a link to site run by personality research psychologists (as part of an ongoing research project) that use the Big Five to determine your personality profile, coping styles, etc. They even use your Big Five results to see what Hogwarts house you should be in ... whatever that is ... just kidding, I know what that is ... 😉

Disclaimer -- I know many people take personality "type" online quizzes (e.g., MBTI) for fun, but I come across many people who adhere strongly to them as a means of describing themselves, even people on this site ...

I also see other various forms of personality "type" quizzes/tests in the academia world, such as Leadership Strength Quest here at KSU (which the results reads extremely similar to a personality profile "type" ) that are given to our first-year students and the results are touted to them as a means of "guiding" them through their major courses ... I've had many students tell me they've CHANGED their majors simply based on their Strength Quest results... and then when they have re-taken the same Strength Quest test a year later, their answers have COMPLETELY changed (surprise-fucking-surprise as these tests have no reliability) ...

So it is this VERY reason these personality "types" is a soapbox of mine. Use them for fun, but that is all. 🙂

evestrat 8 Jan 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'll be checking this out. Being an INTP I may not talk to everyone about it...Kidding!

I took one of those 4 letter personality tests at work. My main objection was that there was no "you are a miserable little prick and impossible to work with" description. We had several on the team who would fit that , but yet they came up with some upbeat little picture of themselves as "challenging".

There are as many personality types as there are individuals. The groupings never made sense to me.

Appropo to any "test" that might guide singles towards "compatible" mates here has not worked so far for me.....my fantasy is to be "chosen" for marriage like Jane chose Bernie on election night victory party Mayor in Vermont. ....all my posts herein have merely entertained a few none chasing my spread of Atheist Peacock Feathers

I tend to agree. When purported psychological instruments are used, we need to take real care that they really measure what they claim to and that the descriptors they use have merit.

For the ex-churched, this reminds me of the usefulness of Spiritual Gifts inventories. It's amazing how people's spiritual gifts always turned out to simply be the things they enjoyed doing already...

HAAAhAAA. Basically, I am an average (right in the 50's, give or take 10) in just about everything, except neuroticism, which is high. Well, I guess that's where my diagnoses come in 🙂 it was fun though 🙂

58 - Extraversion/50 - Agreeableness/40 - Conscientiousness/54 - Neuroticism/94 - Openness to Experience

It's an interesting test.

Personally, I like the MBTI because taking it every few years has lead to a valuable insight into myself. It constantly tells me that I am supposed to be an introvert, but that's not what it is really saying. It says I act like an introvert and I'm miserable and I need more people in my life and when I can honestly take the MBTI and it says I'm an extrovert, I'll probably be happy, because I'll be just a little extraverted like this test says.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12460
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.