Agnostic.com

1 2

Regarding the bible, the ultimate problem is that the pious insist even the errors of the many copies were written by a hand that was guided by god. How do you get around that? Would you even care to?

BrigittaCuadros 6 Jan 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Personally, there is no point in arguing about imaginary beings. But the point is that religion is a fraud, which leaves people with a an unimaginable void that is not there. It is a condition named Stockholm Syndrome. [en.wikipedia.org]

Maybe we should look at the cure through the lens of this condition - if we care enough, which I do. Religion has caused way too much harm to humanity to call it a harmless belief anymore.

There is an advertisement that I often see on TV about "Mercy Ships". Before I say much about this, I am NOT a religious troll. Part of the advert says that all the doctors and nurses pay for all their own expenses. Yes, they do have film/pictures of some of the horrendous diseases that no living 'thing' should have. And they do have film of the happy faces after the cures. Another "yes", they talk a bit about "god". I don't care what they talk about- as long as this work is being done. Would the average person take time off a well-paying job to do free work with people that they had never met?

A point: all religious people, or people under a religious umbrella, are not the epitome of evil. They are not the warped and twisted TV evangelists.

Diogenes, the crime is that these people pay their own way, while churches take the credit for the lives they are saving and raise huge sums of money to fund these projects for which the church doesn't even pay for. And yes, if I were unencumbered, had the skills and the money to support myself during such work, I would do it in a nano second, like most people I know.

@BrigittaCuadros I am well past religion many decades ago. The bible stories are for children--- but they should be told at a young age that these are just fairy tales. For example, Daniel did not come out of a hungry lions den- if he did, it was as leftover Danielburger. LOL------- Back to the discussion. A person should 'always' investigate any of these charities- but I hope that I am right about this one being decent. To their credit there was no big, long rant about gods- and there was NO specific church that was collecting money. Adios

@BrigittaCuadros doing nice things for people DOES NOT PROVE HEAVEN BRIBES OR HELL THREATS ARE TRUE but the poor ignorant folks eagerly join the racist religions in exchange for the help

I do think Stockholm Syndrome is a part of the equation, but I think religion is a symptom rather than the cause of the problem. We elevate to godhood whatever we are captive of, whether we worship in a church, or on a golf course, or in a cafeteria.

@Diogenes They are victims of religion.

@BrigittaCuadros I have NO interest in religion. I am agnostic; I do not know if Nature has a cognitive entity behind it or not- and I am not going to fill that void with a contrived answer. Some of the healed children said they wanted to be a doctor or health worker. I'll take that outlook before I'll listen to some self-serving atheist. But true, it would make me angry, if some bag of rice had stenciled on the side, "This food was brought to you by god"(as far as I know Nature did not create/empower any gods)- when in fact, seed, climate and hard work is what enabled the donation.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12480
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.