Agnostic.com

9 8

"The essence of Christianity is told us in the Garden of Eden history. The fruit that was forbidden was on the tree of knowledge. The subtext is, All the suffering you have is because you wanted to find out what was going on."
-Frank Zappa

AMGT 8 Jan 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I just finished reading Joni Mitchell - In Her Own Words. She said essentially the same thing in own of the interviews. Great minds and all.

God gave free choice then punished Adam and Eve for using that choice. Bottom line if god is all knowing isn't he able to foresee this stuff and stop it.

The message is very much that you'll be punished for your curiosity, so you'd better not question anything and just obey.

Knowledge is bad, ignorance is good! I am too much of a smartass to go along with that. That must be why I am here.

Nice, straight up honesty!

Yes, a major issue I have with Christianity. Not only that tree of knowledge story's horrifying message, but what is revered as the animal symbol of what "good Christians" are expected to strive to be? The dumb-as-dirt, easily led (and misled) SHEEP! Then there is that statement "man's wisdom is but foolishness to God." So folks, don't even think of trusting your own efforts to reason through questions! Yes, just have faith! Trust what your religious leaders tell you, because they speak for God. Be naive like little children. That is what God wants of you.

Pretty blatant.

Animals don't have a knowledge of good or evil. Predators kill everyday for a living. Often brutally. They don't understand that as being good or evil. We don't characterize it that way, either... Largely because we know that they don't understand it as anything but the natural way of things. At some point, if you go back far enough, we all have a male ancestor, who was human, but also - like an animal - lacked this knowledge of good and evil. But, one day either he, or his offspring, did "get it". And that first man to gain the knowledge of good and evil had it explained to him by a woman. Or, perhaps it was his relationship with a woman that inspired him to understand what is good, and what is evil. Once you understand that your behavior can either create a world of good, or a world of evil, then you have to take responsibility for the life you live. And that makes life a lot harder. That's my theory of that story anyway.

As I understand it, the story before it got twisted and written down, was a metaphor for the event in everyone's life when they are taught the illusion of good and evil. That is the point at which we lost our innocence (are cast out of Eden / kingdom of god). If there was a jesus, do you think that might have been when he said; "You must become as a little child to enter the kingdom."?

Maybe it's all about discovery. 😉

Source:

Don't forget that the girl wanted knowledge and that was a no-no. Keep those women in the dark.

gearl Level 8 Jan 3, 2018

@AMGT well... you kinda removed the apple from the tree and offered to clueless adam.

Funny how Christians always conveniently forget Lilith. A woman created as an EQUAL to Adam.

@AMGT and very powerful is indeed.

@SteveB and banished Lilith for her sin of wanting to be on top. Wow. Most women really like the top position!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12549
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.