Agnostic.com

9 4

Math phobia?

Are there any math phobic people out there? After my father "helped" me with my arithmetic homework when I was in grade school and commented, "You don't get that???" (with major disdain in his voice), I became phobic about math. In college, I had to take at least one math course and wound up putting it off as long as I could. Into adulthood, I was still getting anxious when confronted with a mathematical computation, so I bought a math tutorial program for my computer and started back at the beginning and worked my way through algebra II. It's terrible how one person's ill-considered remark can make you feel like you're a failure.

RobLawrence 7 July 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am a wordsmith by nature and love the written and spoken word. My brain is hard-wired to language and I am pretty useless when it comes to numbers, can’t even remember telephone numbers that I use regularly! I don’t think you should feel like a failure, like me you just don’t have a mathematical brain.

At least you have taken your childhood trauma and, as an adult, worked to dispel your phobia! My father encouraged mathematics, and I fell in love with it early in life. I did have a professor in grad school that said women should not be in positions that involved math ,and that I should probably seek a different career path other than being an accountant....of course, I took that as a challenge and pursued it much more rigorously and with success. Too be honest, basic algebra is about the most you will practically use in everyday life, but I also think people need to know basics about statistical data to understand things like the unemployment figures, polling, etc. Keep on studying...great!

Yes yes I sincerely identify with your post..in every way...

My father prided himself on his innate skills in math..he would insist on doing my homework with me ...he was and still is a distant man emotionally ...he was aggressive and a terrible bully..

I was terrified of him..he would shout at me and grab my arm ..then shake me violently until I cried..he would stop ..then the whole cycle would start again...I couldn't think through the haze of shouting..and would desperately respond with any numbers...to make it stop..but this only made things worse.

My mother would try to intervene when it got too much for her to bear..but he would swat her away like a fly..

I never really succeeded at maths...yet inexplicably excelled at other subjects...

I avoid maths based activities since my early childhood..and can still hear my father screaming at me for the correct answer over and over again..

I think it's something I need to put right...

@RobLawrence

Thank you Rob.. My father said he has no memory of it...I brought it to his attention..but he gaslighted his way out of it..suggesting that I was remembering what he did to my brother..and exaggerating his actions..He did it to 2 of us..he left the youngest alone because..he was better at maths than even my father..this likely annoyed him.
My younger brother became a Professor of Genetics at the Univercity of Chicago ..then went on to become a Director of a Genome company in Boston..so things worked out nicely for him.

I think there were two factors that effected me..

One was my overbearing father scaring the hell out of me..which may have closed my mind off..or created a psychological block..

The second is the realisation of the possibility of me having been born with ADD attention deficit disorder..(there is some of it in the family)..I have never been diagnosed or tested for it..but it could certainly have muddied the waters..

I don't know if it is one or both of those issues. But a fear and difficulty of dealing with maths as fluently as I would like has clearly bedevilled both of our lives... I'm so glad that you took control and confronted it..my life could have been very different if I had the courage to do the same.

I suppose I had decided I should be content with being good at other things...

I am as good a father as I could hope to be and shower my girls with love support and affection.
I do their homework with them like a caring patient teacher would. Yes maths too...

Both girls are strong in academics..my youngest has won scholar of the year 2 years in a row..both are bilingual too..and talented in a variety of sport and dance & drama... I am so proud.

@RobLawrence

Thank you Rob..
My mother is a wonderful loving gentle and generous woman.. I love her dearly.

My father is a sad and bitter man whose children try to avoid but visit anyway..my children fear him...and they are the best judge of character I know ?

I am assured by my wife and by my mother and syblings that apart from a striking physical resemblance.. this apple has fallen as far from the tree as my genes will permit. I'm assured because I ask for reassurance that my personality is more like my mother's and my father's brother who was a real gentleman.

Thank you again for this very brave and touching post...

I'd fall asleep asleep in my high school math class. And I sat in the front row.

Similar experience with my dad's comments "You don't know that?" instead of answering the questions I'd ask him to help me understand. Along with my grandmother's assessment out loud that I was the dumbest of the five of us kids. Didn't give me the confidence to go very far in school.

I don't know if those experiences kept me from excelling in math or not. Could be that numbers just aren't my thing. Maybe my brain is lazy or I just have an aversion to math for some other reason. But, you're definitely not alone disliking math. Gotta be lots of us.

I'm very maths-phobic. I got all kinds of disdain all my life at my inability to comprehend it. Most people don't know dyscalculia is a thing.

I have a strong psychotic reaction to math. It makes me want to kill myself. I'm a drummer. I only need to count to 4. A one and a two....

My mom did the same to me. Didn’t understand how I could possibly not get math. I was locked up in a room a lot to do extra math exercises. Until 4th grade. Suddenly math dawned on me and I learned it like it was the easiest thing. Started taking the more challenging classes and later in life tutored students in math and sciences. Now I love math and I find joy in math. I find joy in helping students learn math and not fear it anymore. I used to have a math teacher who’s motto was “Math is fun”. I believe it now.

I am dyslexic, with letter and numbers, yet I can sort math problems. Words on the other had and I am hopeless. I find all maths except trigonometry easy.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:125960
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.