Agnostic.com

7 3

Do you have any vestigial traits left over from your religion?

I grew up in the 80's, aka the Satanic Panic. I grew up believing that everything was of of the devil. I've been atheist for about 9 years now, and the other week I just realized that I still didn't throw up the devil horns (pointer and pinkey fingers up) because it was a sign of being in the devil's army or whatever. Then I remembered, "oh yeah, I don't believe that guy exists anymore".

I was curious if anyone else has caught themselves doing or not doing something because of the religion you grew up in; even though you are no longer part of said religion.

ScubaWags 7 Jan 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In some ways I consider myself a Cultural Methodist. Much of my instinct towards Social Justice has some background in the faith of my Father's family. Of all the church services I have stepped into, Methodists are the ones I feel the most comfortable, if not entirely comfortable in.

a tail

My email handle, the most personal one I have, is still in use and I am in good relationship with it despite that it was derived from three of the “fruits of the [biblical] spirit.”

You use the wrong term. Traits are physically inherited. Do we harbor behaviors and beliefs from an earler time in our lives? Of course.

You are correct. My mistake.

Only the guilt and shame... y'know, the good bits - NOT!

Here's a question: does your approach to intimate relationships stem from religious teachings, or from a more logical approach. And not you personally @ScubaWags, but anyone who reads this. From dating to marriage, why do you do what you do?

that is a good post on its own

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12597
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.