Agnostic.com

24 7

Am I the only one that isn’t saddened by my life coming to a complete end after death?

I’ve known many people who are saddened by this, but for me, I find comfort in it. I don’t mind accepting the I will cease to exist and fall into a permanent sleep. I just imagine it how it was before I was born. I just need to know if I’m not the only one and to make sure nothing is wrong with me since I am ok to accept there’s no life after death, but pure nothingness. I gave up the thought of Heaven a long time ago as a preteen when I realized it sounded irrational and quite boring when I got to thinking about it. I laughed at the thought of Hell. Still do until this day. Leave your thoughts below and tell me what you think.

EmeraldJewel 7 Jan 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm not saddened by death for myself but for others who will no longer be a part of my life. I'm am more frightened of getting sick again-going back to a hospital someday and no longer having control of my bodily functions.

There are ways of dying I wouldn't want to go through, but being dead is easy.
I won't even know I'm dead.

I’m not afraid of death just the pain that may come with it. If it wasn’t for the fear of death we wouldn’t have religions.

It's time we decided to take full responsibility of our life, ready to face the consequences of a life lived on our terms, ideas and convictions. A life of humility and courage, where there is no need for god, religion or self-deception. Let’s say that the earth and the universe are just what science has found out so far. There're lots of things we don't know. That's okay. There's no god, all religions keep propagating myths and falsehoods. We’re intelligent enough to see through their false claims. There's no afterlife and there's nothing wrong or unethical about just dying and be the end of it. The best thing about not having a religion to guide us in life is how uncluttered our life becomes, how more confident and freethinking we become. As long as we live, we live sensibly; we enjoy our lives without any sense of guilt. We tell our children the truth and no woolly false promises. There's a mighty dose of intellectual honesty in our life and we don't have to bullshit to our children.

Death as a complete end? Meh, all the more reason to live as fully and well as you can.

It isn't something I worry about either. I try to live my best life in the moment and I hope my body can help as many people as possible when I am no longer alive. But I have zero anxiety over it. I have life insurance so my kids are taken care of and that is about as prepared as one can get 🙂 You are not alone at all.

If I'm being honest, I would like there to be some happy afterlife. I don't want to fade into nothingness. There is no good reason to think there is one, however, and wanting something to be true doesn't make it so.

On the contrary: I always thought the prospect of eternal, unending, infinite life the most terrible torture imaginable. People simply do not understand the concept of infinity.
Sure, I would maybe want to live longer, but looking at the progress bar after a trillion trillion trillion trillion boring years and seeing stuck at 0 percent? No, thanks.

When you die you are dead. I am neither saddened or scared, in face I don't think about death and try to be happy and enjoy living to the fullest. If there is a heaven and a hell which Im 100% sure there is not, though I guess will find out when I die, I will meet you there and we will have drinkies 😉 lol.
Have you ever seen the meme that goes round facebook, that goes something along the lines of, when we die and see the light.. what if that is us being born and the light we see is us coming out of our mothers and we see the Drs face. hmm hmmmm hehe

Sacha Level 7 Jan 4, 2018

Nothing disturbing about it to me.

Suffering is disturbing. Not suffering sounds awesome.

No. Being dead is like being stupid. Only other people will notice.

Mine won't completely end...I plan to have my ashes made into diamond jewelry for my kids, so they can remember me every day. (mentioned this to my kids...they are not yet on board🙂)

Keep working on them.

I am truly ok with believing that once you die that's it. It makes me enjoy the time I am alive even more.

I think I'd admit to being a little sad at the prospect, but there is nothing to be done. I won't be sad afterwards! The main thing is to hope that it will not be a painful end.

I tend to agree with Richard Hugo and find that one life's assemblage of pain and suffering are quite enough. I've no desire to be reincarnated or do something like exist in perpetuity in either heaven or hell. I mean who doesn't get tired of visiting with their families for any extended period of time? Now imagine forever.

Atheism taught me to be free, and fearless. The brain comforts you when it is time to die. I call that, "A beautiful death."

Epicurus an ancient secular Greek Philosopher wrote:

Death does not concern us, because as long as we exist,
  death is not here. And when it does come we no longer exist

One of a few translations

Don't be so sad... Enjoy the "Here", the "Now" and wait to the end to see what's next if there is a next. WE DON'T KNOW FOR SURE. Don't be saddened. Rock On!

No ...is as natural as being born to me....the famous circle of life 🙂

I think along the same lines.

But I also like the way the ancient Greek thought of immortality. I.e. we love on in the heard and minds of others through our deeds. Want to be immortal to amazing things.

I don't think we become nothing after we die. Before we were born, we were part of a stargasem (exploding star) that made the material elements from which the earth evolved life. The law of conservation of mass allows us to become one with everything else as some other thing over time. I'm not saying there is a God or anything, rather we are still part of the universe even after we die. That being said, it is possible the universe itself will die from entropy after a very long time, but it's also possible this is a multiverse and we will be sucked into another dimension and who knows the rules there? I'm not sad either, I'm just curious.

jeffy Level 7 Jan 4, 2018

When I was young I thought I’d want to live forever, but the prospect of degrading over time isn’t very appealing. And some point there’s just no reason to go on. Everyone you know, everything you’ve believed in, your knowledge base just fades away or becomes irrelevant. I was born in the 1960s and I have no desire to be here in 2260s.

I like the view of the 'Cosmic Hero'. Ernest Becker wrote a book called "The Denial of Death" which is a classic on psycho-philosophical synthesis.

To quote from the foreward by Sam Keene:

"Gradually, reluctantly, we are beginning to acknowledge that the bitter medicines that he prescribes - contemplation of the horror of our inevitable death- is, paradoxically, the tincture that adds sweetness to mortality."

His philosophy is a braid woven from 4 strands:

1. The world is terrifying. We live in a creation in which the routine activity for organisms is the killing and eating of others.

2. The basic motivation for human behavior is our biological need to control our basic anxiety, to deny the terror of death.

3. Since the terror of death is so overwhelming we conspire to keep it unconscious. "The vital lie of character" is the first line of defense which protects us from the painful awareness of our helplessness. So long as we stay obediently within our "character armour", we feel safe and are able to pretend that the world is manageable. We repress our bodies to purchase a soul that time cannot destroy; we sacrifice pleasure to buy immortality; we escape ourselves to avoid death. And life escapes us while we huddle within the defended fortress of character.
    Society provides us with the second line of defense against our natural impotence by creating a hero system that allows us to believe that we transcend death by participating in something of lasting worth. Since the main task of human life is to become heroic and transcend death, every culture must provide its members with an intricate symbolic system that is covertly religious. This means that ideological conflicts between cultures are essentially battles between immortality projects, holy wars.

4. Our heroic projects that are aimed at destroying evil have the paradoxical effect of bringing more evil into the world. Human conflicts are life and death struggles - my immortality project against your immortality project. The root cause of humanly caused evil is not man's animal nature, not territorial aggression, nor innate selfishness, but our need to gain self esteem, deny our mortality, and achieve heroic self image. Our desire for the best is the cause of the worst.

The best we can hope for society at large is that the mass of unconscious individuals might develop a moral equivalent to war. The science of man has shown us that society will always be comprised of passive subjects, powerful leaders, and enemies upon whom we project our guilt and self hatred. This knowledge may help us develop an "objective hatred" in which the hate object is not a human scapegoat but something impersonal like poverty, disease, oppression, or natural disasters. By making our inevitable hatred intelligent and informed we may be able to turn our destructive energy to a creative use.

For the exceptional individual, there is the ancient philosophical path of wisdom. Becker, like Socrates, advises us to practice dying. Cultivating awareness of our death leads to disillusionment, loss of character armour, and a conscious choice to abide in the face of terror. The existential hero who follows this way of self-analysis differs from the average person in knowing that he/she is obsessed. Instead of hiding within the illusions of character, he sees his impotence and vulnerability. The disillusioned hero rejects the standardized heroics of mass culture in favour of cosmic heroism in which there is real joy in throwing off the chains of uncritical, self defeating dependency and discovering new possibilities of choice and action and new forms of courage and endurance. Living with the voluntary consciousness of death, the heroic individual can despair or choose to trust in the "sacrosanct vitality of the cosmos." ?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12700
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.