Agnostic.com

6 3

LINK Faith-healing parents charged with murder in death of premature twin baby | OregonLive.com

These parents belong to a particularly pernicious group of faith-healing Xians. Their graveyards, say the prosecutors, are filled with the the graves of children who have died b/c the parents didn't seek basic medical care. Shame and criminality!

BookDeath 8 July 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I understand societies anger but I'm conflicted. Do we not embrace the ideology of freedom of religion? You may say except when it harms others. But then are we truly allowing freedom of religion because obviously raising your children within your faith is a large part of that given said freedom.

Yeah.......No! A practice of neglecting children as a part of religion, is neglecting children. Our society protects children that cannot protect themselves, until they are capable of protecting themselves. What they are doing is abuse.

@micktoz That is an argument made ideological stand point. Which is why it fails to encompass the other persons belief system. As such you haven't shown case of abuse other than simply not using your preferred method of healing over theirs.

Given your base argument I could then extend it to say anytime something has statistically better come outcomes by a subjective stand point I could claim you failed to perform correctly. Citing liability, abuse, and or neglect.

Any attempt to force a person to use a medicine or treatment simply because it statistically has a higher level of performance is stripping the person of their freedom of religion. The same freedom of religion that allows you to be Agnostic.

@Biosteelman Yeah, go ahead and idealogue freedom of religion. Abuse of someone who can't protect themselves based on religion is still abuse. Freedom of religion does not include freedom abuse.

@micktoz it's not abuse. Stretching words to fit your desired meaning doesn't make them more true. There is a reason why sugar pills are used when showing comparative advantage of a medicine. The person's pure belief that they will live has proven to be effective against some illness.

[health.harvard.edu]

Throw them idiots in the looney bin...

This is the kind of stuff that makes me angry! That baby could have had their whole life ahead of them, but it was robbed cause of effing religion!

I just can not understand this. To stand by and watch a baby die...

What bumfuzzles me is, let's say there is a God. God put doctors on this Earth, so why don't we just use them? I'm sure they weren't put here just for show.

Let's not say there is a god. Trying to logic with bullshit is buying into bullshit. Just have to admit that in their belief system, their god is an arsehole, and they are a likeness to their imaginary god

I don't know how I feel about that because I've seen so many premature babies that would have been better off without medical intervention.

@BookDeath That's fine. You cannot possibly believe that people who are completely nonfunctional are better off because they can breathe with a machine always attached to their body.

@PhoebeCat I don't think this was the case... If it was I agree with you...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:127018
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.