Agnostic.com

5 1

What are your thoughts on the affects of genes on culture?

I have studied a lot about biology, genetic and evolution.

Recent finding shows that in general there is no fundamental difference between nations in terms of genotypes. e. g. basically all the genotypes that can be found in one nation can also be found in all other nations.

But it looks like that the distribution of genotypes are different between different populations.

For example:

Genotypes that make skin darker are found more in populations that live in areas with more sunshine.

Genotypes that makes people taller are observed more in some European nations.

Genotype that make a person Lactose tolerant are found more in European people.

On the other hand, recent studies show that there are lots of genotypes that affect human intelligence and behavior. Obviously the distribution of these genotypes cannot be completely similar between different nations.

and average intelligence and behavioral trends of a nation can affect a nations cultural in long term.

So I am assuming that these differences between the AVERAGE distribution of genotypes (even if they are small) can result in significant cultural differences between nations when people with different distribution of genotypes interact with each other for hundreds or thousands of years in different nations and different geographic locations.

So in general the statements "Cultural differences can be caused by genetic differences" can be a correct statement depending on what we mean by "genetic differences".

There are also important and interesting scientific studies about the mutual affects of genetic and culture like "Dual Inheritance Theory":

[en.wikipedia.org]

I am interested to hear your comments about this and whether these kinds of studies are useful or they just result in "scientific racism".

pey321 2 Jan 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Cultural differences are learnt behaviours. An Ibo enculturated as an Inuit is, for all practical purposes, a different looking Inuit. Unless you're living VERY close to the margins of survivability genetic traits make little difference to your cultural makeup.

I agree. But learnt behavior can sustain temporarily if the genetic makeup doesn't support that.
In long term (multiple generations) the genetic make up can influence and shift the learnt behavior and culture.

The good news is that not only genetic make up can influence the culture, but culture can also influence the genetic makeup and this has been explained by Dual Inheritance Theory:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Hi there. Have you read around epigenetics and the process of switching genes on and off? Interesting if applied to the cultural aspects to your post. Also, we share 50% of our genes with a banana and the coding for melanin is shared with chimpanzees - they are white but their hair protects the skin from the sun's radiation. Point being skin colour was coded when we shared an ancestor with apes and much of the genome when we shared an ancestor with fruits and herbs. Being Scottish I'm mostly Haggis 🙂

Yes I have read about epigenetics (That I think is done by DNA methylation that permanently silence a gene within DNA. Because when DNA replicates the methyl factor also replicates with it)

As far as I know the epigenetics are also inherited from one generation to the other.

I understand that we share 98 percent of genes with Chimps but the 2 percent of the genes that are different between human and Chimps are very important.

Those genes are normally hox genes (body plan genes). These are none coding genes (the don't code for proteins) but they control other genes (switch other genes on or off).

Hox genes are at top of hierarchy of control genes. So the smallest changes in them can have a huge affect on the body.

The difference between human and many other mammals are mainly in the hox genes.

A good example of those hox genes is MCPH genes:

[ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

A small mutation in these genes can cause Microcephaly:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Because these genes control the size of brain. They are simple genes that are not involved in details of creation of brain. They just control the size of brain. But they role are very important.

A person who suffers from Microcephaly has a very very small genetic difference with the same person who doesn't have it (a couple of letters among the 3 billions letters of genetic code has been mutated). But the affect of this small change is huge on brain size and intelligence.

A person who suffers from microscopically has a very low IQ.

Interestingly the same MCPH genes are different between human and Chimps and that's one of the main reason why Chimps brain size is one third of human.

This is a good example of how small variations in genes can have huge affects on people and animals.

Like MCPH, there are several other genes that affect intelligence in human and small variations in them in normal people can affect their intelligence:

[qz.com]

south east asians cannot digest alcohol , making them a danger when drinking and very sick afterwards. 3% of the population are allergic to massive quantities of marijuana resulting in full psychosis and lastly 7 % of the population are hearing voices to one degree or other and may constitute a threat to the rest of us/ yes genetics are very enlightening. unfortunately I have the feeling it will be used for all the wrong reasons in the future

The first thing I thought of was Nazi Germany. Doctors in concentration camps did multiple genetic experiments on Jewish inmates that proved absolutely nothing. I have no faith in "genetic differences". They are the kind of study that would influence herr trump to limit immigration by genetic makeup. The son of Fred Trump, the former arrested member of the KKK would love a legitimized theory of white superiority of christians.

trump's dad was a kkk nut and a billionaire. !? henry ford was a card carrying and main donor to the american fascist party in 1939 . so history repeats itself again !

I understand your concerns but there are two important phases when we are discussing the affects of genetic on behavior, culture and capabilities:

1. Understanding the affects that genetic can have on human behavior, intelligence and other capabilities (Considering the uncertainties/probabilities that always exist in these genes-traits relationships) .

2. Conclusion on absolute superiority based on these differences.

I think discussion on level 1 can be completely valid if it is based on latest scientific research and considering that there is always some uncertainty and probability on the affect of genes over traits (Because of environment affects and many unknown parameters that still need to be discovered).

Racism can arise if we go to phase 2 and conclude that a nation is superior to another or a person is superior to the other based on genetic differences.

The problem with Nazi Germany was that they not only have an incorrect understanding of the effects of genes and traits (For example they considered skin color as an important factor in determining the intelligence) but they jumped to phase 2 and tried to conclude ABSOLUTE and unconditional superiority of one nation to the others.

They didn't have the knowledge that we have today and they didn't know that within any nation or population there could be a huge range in peoples intelligence and other capabilities. So we should never stereotype individuals based on their back ground.

For example there could be very intelligent people among the population that their average IQ is lower or vice versa (Stupid people among the population that their average IQ is very high)

When it comes to immigration we should interview each individual to determine their cultural compatibility and skills (Point system).

On the other hand we should be more careful about the Open Immigration policies. The mindset that all the people and nations are basically the same in terms of average skills, capabilities and intelligent is a dangerous mindset as these differences exist and are proven scientifically.

sorry I disagree in a merit system-biased and discriminatory compared to America's first immigrants. I disagree with Herr trump.

I also disagree with Trump. To be honest I disagree with both liberals and conservatives as both of them seems to be extremists.

But I think Trump is NOT supporting a merit system for immigration.

He once wanted to ban all Muslims which is a huge generalization and is very similar to racism (Of course banning Muslims is not racism as Islam is not a race but it is very similar to racism in terms of wrong generalization)

On the other hand Canada is following a merit system (Point system) for skilled workers immigration that I think has been quite successful.

I think they also consider the cultural compatibility of each individual (Irrespective of their background) during an interview. That will help to protect the culture without wrong generalization and stereotyping.

Recently they are admitting lots of refugees without proper screening and that I think is dangerous.

I don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth.

The attribution of intelligence to a particular genotype would seem to ignore a fundamental difference between nature on the one hand and nurture on the other. It seems to me that excluding gross deformity or accidental brain damage, all human beings have the same capacity for learning and the same capacity for stupidity.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein

Genetic is one component in determining the intelligence. Of course environment (education, training, food, ...) are also important.
There are different opinions on how much each factor is important. For example many scientist believe it is 50/50

Any ways, we can not completely deny the affect of genes on skills. For example we all agree that there are certain talents in certain people.

But as far as I know a talent (Like a musical talent or talent in math) is something that can be inherited. So we all agree that some intellectual capabilities can be inherited through genes.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12741
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.