Agnostic.com

14 14

Values shopping

As a retired union member and an atheist, I take care to avoid spending my dollars at anti-union or overtly religious businesses like HOBBY LOBBY, CHIK FIL A, HOME DEPOT and others. Though it sometimes is both inconvenient and more costly, I hold my values closer than money. And I refuse to use self-checkout -- I prefer living beings to inanimate machines.

Anyone else shop their values like this?

Snickers77 8 July 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No Amazon so we can keep our local stores open, and they treat their employees badly. As well as Wal-Mart. But it is hard and I gave sometimes.

Often yes.

I'll use self checkout if lines are crazy, but I'm an extrovert and getting to know people can be fun.

Apparently Hobby Lobby has the best cloth dye in my town so I gave them $5 last year, people watching there was fun

Especially with food, I try to go to farmers markets and buy locally. If I need a cup or something, my first choices will be local artists. It is more expensive, but I don't need a lot. Quality over quantity I guess. I do boycott obviously Christian businesses...but I still go to hobby lobby for their ostrich and peacock feathers, damn them

I prefer to buy American when I can I cars are Chevy Volt number 5 on the top 10 of North American continent the electric I use is made and delivered by people from the USA and I do use fuel it's Sunoco I support local farmers and crafts purchase meat at a meat market locally owned beef is from Youngstown Pork Toledo. I will only eat Chick-fil-A on Sunday never shopped at a Hobby Lobby but I like the info on the sign ☺️

May I ask what does everyone here have against self checkout? This is the first time I hear of this

Ok. But there's no need for that job. It makes no sense for a business to spend money on an unnecessary job just to keep a person employed. No? What am I missing?

Investigate a little bit more and you'll find that most of that stuff comes from around the world. Kraft Foods for example is just another capitalist multinational.

Make your own food if you can or support local co-operatives. I agree about boycotting self service tills.

I do when I'm aware of something I feel strongly about - and when I have a choice.

Nah. I don't. Many years ago I attempted to make a stand about shopping at Walmart, but the savings were too great to ignore or sacrifice. Especially when there is a budget to live within. I've recently shopped at Lowe's and I had Chik Fil le a couple weeks ago. In the past 6 months though, I'd say I've purchased Hebrew National, Morton salt, Heinz ketchup, RC, Pepsi, and Orange Crush, and Frito Lay. My mother was an oil tool machinist and an AFL/CIO member. Our family supports unions.

hey this is GREAT! TY!!! and I'm stealing this.

I am a retired Teamster and I agree and support you 100% and do exactly as you do when and where I spend my money.

Nope, not at all. I shop with the dollar in mind.

You do you, I do me and let's strive to do or cause no harm.

@jlynn37 no offense intended, but with student loan garnishment and bills, I have to.

@NothinnXpreVails I understand and make no judgements.

Thanks for this! I do the same thing!

Yes, I do! And it's a pain in the ass sometimes, but I do it anyway. One conversation I had just two days ago was when a friend asked why I refuse to eat at Chik-fil-A, and my standard response is, "I don't eat bigot chicken." I used to love shopping at Hobby Lobby. Jimmy John's is the closest sandwich place to my house. And on and on... But I believe in voting with your dollar.

Kat Level 5 July 10, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:127791
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.