Agnostic.com

4 4

The Wal-Mart scam..

Has anyone noticed this.. Wal-Mart typically has higher prices for bulk buys. I mean, it's not really scam.. more like a shitty business practice. I don't really like Wal-Mart, but I shop their grocery stores. Years ago I noticed a "family pack" item that portrayed the idea that you'll save a few cents buying it versus buying the same amount in smaller packages. Well it didn't save anything.. and it actually cost more per unit. Every time I go there, I see countless items where the bulk purchase costs more. Which wouldn't be too bad, but we have this idea engraved in us that bulk is better for saving money.. and I'm pretty sure Wal-Mart helped to work that idea in. I was reminded of it again a lil bit ago tonight when I was getting cheese. To buy the 4 lb bag cost more than buying two 2 lb bags. The next size up from 4 cost even more per lb. So I figured I'd give others the heads up cause I know in 'real life' I've talked to a good many people about it and many admitted they automatically went for the bulk. Anyway, if you shop at Wal-Mart for food, always look at the price per unit if you're looking to actually save money.

FatherOfNyx 7 July 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've noticed that too. It baffles me. I don't think it's a "scam," in that they are hiding nothing. The most important aspect of spending less at the grocery store is to always compare price per unit (gram, ounce, pound, number of pieces, etc.). The end.

Yeah, it is important. The only reason I lean towards the word scam is because Wal-Mart is one of the many companies that portray this idea of buying in bulk to save money. I will also say that I know they know what they're doing. When I first noticed this years ago, I was bothered by it and did some investigating. They would rotate the section where they charged more for bulk items just about every week. One week it would be frozen foods, then the next candy, then dairy.. And I am pretty sure they rotated to keep people from noticing. Plus, if you are a price per unit checker, you might see bulk is cheaper in a section for a couple weeks and then just stop looking. Then one week they sneak it into that section when you're no longer checking. I've seen less of the weekly rotations though lately and more just random items. It's more like an unethical business practice than a scam, but it's pretty damn close to being a scam.

And Walmart treat their staff badly.

From what I've heard, they're getting better. I think they're trying to get ahead of this growing movement of being fair cause they'll soon be a big target in the coming years.

I have noticed the same thing.
A lot of people can't add or multiply I guess

They usually break down the unit price for you too.. It's just the average consumer has this idea that bulk is always cheaper engraved in their head.

Thanks for you thoughts, they do make a lot of sense. I see lower prices at Walmart and higher prices too. Gotta ne careful.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:127865
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.