Agnostic.com

1 0

Is there a cure for religion? And would you use it on all humanity at once, in a Book, a Movie or Fake Aliens to Trick them into reality? Easy, lol.?

I see religion as an infection, more cancerous to the common good of the planet than anything else, worldwide.
What Iz your/the best, cure for humanity's truth seeking plight's?
My I Wish;
Free unlimited secular schooling for the planets people. Supernatural teachings as unproven truths, will be taxed and labeled as fiction.

IzMark 4 July 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"Tricking" people into anything will generate nothing but ill will towards the person doing it, with extremely few exceptions, and certainly no shortage of violence.

The only way to rid a mind of religion is for them to do the actual work to dig themselves out of the cognitive hole they have sunken/been sunk into. Humans are extremely good at self-deception - even if it's little stuff like "I'm not that overweight", or "it's for their own good." We are story-telling animals and our lives are the stories we tell ourselves about who we are and what we are going to do. It allows us to do many things that would otherwise be impossible for us to accomplish and survive things that would otherwise have wiped us all out long ago. But it also allows us to commit atrocities in order to preserve those stories, and let us believe that we were right in doing so.

We'd need to do more than just educate everyone, we'd also need to remove a lot of the emotional damage that drives people to cling onto these stories of deities that make them feel better about what they've done and what has been done to them, and the need to have much more control over the world around us than we actually have. Knowing a super-powerful being that can change the uncaring facts of reality in favor of the person holding the belief is a way of coping with something that has damaged them previously or is in the process of doing so. Damage done to a person is often damage that is perpetuating - the damaged person will inflict damage upon others.

For example, I once read about the Stockton, CA school shooting, and how afterwards the children were asking their parents to buy them toy rifles so they could play the "Purdy game" - Purdy being the name of the shooter. The kids were replaying the events of that day over and over again, but each time they would change the story a little bit. More of the wounded kids would survive, then all would survive, then he would be unable to hurt any of them, and then there was a version of the game when the kids killed him instead. They tell stories to cope with the trauma and make it less damaging/hurtful to them, and it allows them to move on.

But things like that, and the commonly reported statistic that most child molesters were themselves molested as children, illustrates that our coping mechanisms sometimes cause the damage to reproduce and even get worse (an abuse survivor that goes on to abuse hundreds of others, for example). Likewise, the damage child abuse and religion cause are often related and occur in the same building.

So, rather than tricking or forcing people into reality, we should do what we can to educate and HELP (and heal) them into reality.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:127899
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.