Agnostic.com

7 3

The Use of Psychology

You think Psychology has been a tool for the Church to get more intellectually sophisticated ones? Look at this “Four Agreements.” Clearly produced by a religious person with its mention of “the Word.” The agreements are, however, attributable to the work of Psychology.

“Projection of their own reality”? Right. And god told this to Mr. Ruiz. Psychology tells us all about that defense mechanism: projection.

People cannot tell the difference between what’s of Psychology and what’s of Mythology so because a religious person puts it out and throws in a little religious verbiage it seems holy as opposed to scientific and as long as what’s presented as holy looks and feels good people will flock to it.

Yes or no?

pcjoylov 4 Jan 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Meh, I dunno... apart from the hyper-religious context... those 4 Agreements seem like a fairly sound basis for quality living.
I am intrigued about your comment about psychology and mythology. My favorite author/thinker in psychology, James Hillman, reminds us of a very salient fact - the mythology of the ancient world was their psychology, the psychology of our modern era is our mythology.

I love James Hillman.

Don Miguel Ruiz is a Toltec Master (Mayan) not sure where you are getting this. The four agreements are an extremely helpful tool. I worked for two of his students and ran an entire treatment program based on them. I assure you God did not come into the teaching.

Forget the Four Agreements and all the other mumbo jumbo adjust don't be an asshole you will be a happier more mentally stable person.

Yes. See 'How to Win Friends and Influence People' 1936.

NPR had some speaker talking about how what we classify as mentally ill in our society as a birthing of a Spiritual Shaman needing guidance from an experienced Shaman.

If something is true it really doesn't matter who says it. The same for falsehoods. Religion can be devious in claiming credit where it's not due and I guess it's up to us to point out when they do so. That's our job.

gearl Level 8 Jan 5, 2018

The Dalai Lama has said:

"World peace must first come through inner peace." (And yet there's little investment in mental health. People deny mental health like a myth. It's too scary to look inside and realize the truth that's inside. It's easier to blame others and the world outside of our skin.)

"Your knowledge should be used for the creation of peace, not the creation of a problem.." (I'm not a big fan of should statements but, dang, to stress focusing on outcomes that are meaningful and conducive to life. . . . I like that. Like Einstein!)

". . . for ancient Indian psychology, modern western psychology like kindergarten." (So, I guess even the Dalai Lama says so much about "psychology." Psychology is neither good or bad but depends on how one uses it, like math. It's truth doesn't matter what anyone believes.)

"We must learn about Emotions to work out our destructive emotions. . . . Tackling our destructive emotions is not a religious matter."

"Fuller knowledge about the system of mind is very useful. Very essential."

He very much praises the “system of mind.”

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12863
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.