Agnostic.com

10 1

I see multiple folks posting about how they've been abused, sometimes more than once in a day, for being openly atheist. Even in my very conservative (most conservative electorate in Oz) and deeply religious community this does not happen to me. Is this because Australians are more laid back, or simply because I'm a big lad and the abusers are cowards?

RobAnybody 7 Jan 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Could be both. In America it is different.

I think Australians are really open minded generally. I am very interested in our Indigenous spiritual beliefs.

I don't advertise it... My neighbors have asked me to join them at their churches and I have politely declined. We take care of and help each other here in this neighborhood so I don't think they would have a mindset that I'm evil somehow. I think if I were yelling it at the local pub or arguing with others when I hear them express their beliefs, it might be different.

We had an openly Atheist Prime Minister here in Australia and 30.1% of Australians claimed "No religion" in the 2016 census beating every other religion. Most of the people here that are religious still know better than to try and shove it down someone else's throat. We are a very live and let live country.

Kimba Level 7 Jan 5, 2018

Our New Zealand Prime Minister now is openly Atheist, I believe she was brought up Christian, but became Atheist when she learned that religion did not fit with her strong belief of gay rights etc,
I had a look at the latest available NZ census which was 2013, all i could find. 42% of Kiwis claim to have no religion, and about 10% were undecided or didn't answer the question or claimed to be of the Jedi religon lol.
And I think most of the Christians round here are Samoan or Tongan immigrants.
I know there is only 4mil of us, though still a large number of non religious 🙂

@Kimba Oh yes, Gillard, I forgot about that. Don't you just love Turnbull going to church because it looks a good thing to do? The man is so passionate about things he doesn't really know if he truly believes them or not. Rich folks saying they go to church because it sets a good example for the ordinary people, while having no real belief in it at all, really gets me. smile001.gif

I'm in a conservative area in the United States. I have not been " abused" for my lack of faith. I have been met with surprise, and the old "you poor man what terrible things happened to you?" comments, but never abuse. I think people in this area would feel freer to attack me if I was not a therapist, if I was younger, and if I was female.

I think in Oz, religions are slightly on the run especially catholics. Pedos and so forth.

Your average American believer clings very, very tightly to his fables, and his bigotry is further enabled by the communal appetite writ large for mob mentality.

I totally agree with this. A gang of believers could be dangerous.

G'day Toowoomba, Adelaide here. Don't wish to criticise our brothers and sisters in the US, but tho we have religious loonies here, there isn't the same integration between religion and society, as exists in some places in the US. We weren't founded with the same religious zeal either. And as much as I hate the term UnAustralian, I do think this term might be used about being snarky about people's beliefs or lack of them.

I think Aussies are more laid back, same with us Kiwis. Americans seem very intense on their religion. I didn't realize it was so bad until I got to this website. To put it simply.

Sacha Level 7 Jan 5, 2018

Fortunately the tide is changing, and now at an accelerated rate. Seventy years ago Christianity of one sort or another was so ingrained in the culture as to be synonymous with culture.

Australia is more laid back And I don't think we have any such things as 'bible belts' either.

Toowoomba does a fair impersonation of one.

Ah yes Toowoomba That's not all that far away from Bjelke- Peterson country

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12880
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.