Agnostic.com

9 0

General consensus on psychedelics?

Sorry if this is too left-field for someone, but how does this community feel about psychedelics? I am hoping that the answer isn't too obvious, but I am wondering if anyone knew about using naturally occurring substances in plants (psilocybin for example) to curb mental illness like depression? If not well now you know. This video is a pretty good nugget of info: watch?v=XJezf6OumW

• 12 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 6 votes
tokynsyn 4 Jan 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have used psychedelics for about ten years. While use began recreationally, as l became educated about the substances l was using, my focus changed dramatically.
I have Aspergers, which often brings depression and anxiety. Between microdosing and taking an occasional traditional trip, l have seen incredible growth.

They have now allowed some legal studies. I was looking for the New Yorker magazine article the trip treatment. I couldn't get it but if you Google psychedelic treatment at Cornell Medical the article about LSD and other psychedelics being used there to treat anxiety comes up.

I didn't know what you meant by psychidelics-My mushroom, ecstasy and acid days are way behind me. I'd be curious if anyone still uses them? Come on people.

Are you asking if psychedelics are/are not/are in certain circumstances under the law where users live, or if we think they should be/shouldn't be?

If the former, no they're not. The governing Conservative Party recently introduced an especially stupid new law, despite scientists arguing it was unworkable, by which any psychoactive substance at all is illegal unless its on a list of approved substances - therefore, alcohol and caffeine are legal, LSD and psilocybe mushrooms are not, a perfume that gives you a mental image of an ex-partner is arguable.

If the latter, yes they should. Prohibiting drugs clearly doesn't work and merely gives criminals a way to make huge amounts of money, whilst also discouraging those who develop a problem with or due to drugs from seeking help. Secondly, anything that can be proved reasonably safe for use under clinical conditions should be available to doctors.

Jnei Level 8 Jan 5, 2018

I do not understand the double-standard people have about medications. Most seem OK by the toxic garbage that pharmaceutical companies mass produce & peddle to the populace, but they are scared to death of something natural that may have been used long before modern medicines.

I guess it just shows how effectively things & ideas can be demonized, and how people can be manipulated.

The problem I have had is lack of focus. Use becomes habit and recreation. I've never had a councilor combined with psychotropics. I think that would be helpful. Other than that don't get arrested.

There's this whole movement now with underground therapists treating people also legally the New Yorker magazine had a great article about treating somebody with anxiety because of cancer. He had a therapist in a controlled environment and they gave him psilocybin and and Ritalin. Importantly unlike other medication he only did this one time and even 6 months later his anxiety was reduced.

I have read and watched video which I believe showed some promising results. I do think it best used in a medical setting. I grew up in the Bay Area Ca. in the 60's and am familiar with psychotropics. Proper dose and supervision is the best way. But why would the government abandon the cash cow big Pharma? The won't even allow medical study on the subject. The truth is being sick makes money. I wish it was not so😟

they messed me right up to be honest

I think some things should probably mainly be used for medicinal really...but this post is before i actually look at that link or anything. Ive considered trying ecstasy and/or LSD as its been beneficial for some people with PTSD. Ill be sure to come back later today or tomorrow and check that out. Tag me tomorrow (if you can be bothered) if I havent commented again lol.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12919
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.