Agnostic.com

5 3

I thought some people might like to see this. some may not like to see it simply because it is the truth. But this is coming from some of the people at the top of the social media industry. Hard to call them liars when they are admitting guilt because they know what they have done has had negative effects on human psychology.

SilverDollarJedi 7 Jan 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When you see folks that can't put their phones down, even during a dinner date or crossing a street (or driving!), that tells you of its addictive property.

I thought Chamath Palihapitiya’s comment “it is easy to confuse truth and popularity” was very insightful.

If we insulate ourselves from differing opinions and restrict our social intercourse to only those on social media platforms and internet forums whom we identify as holding the same world view and ideologies as ourselves, then we run the risk of falling victim to our own “social validation feedback loop” and perhaps even imagining dichotomies where there are none.

What do you mean @SilverDollarJedi when you say “some may not like to see it simply because it is the truth”?

We all need a place we can feel comfortable, as many of us do on this site, but, as you said, it is very easy to get in a "social feedback loop". That is why I am not in favor of "banning" some religious proselytizers from this site, unless they get to the point of harassment. I think we need that bit of contrast in the stew lest it become bland & spoil.

@phxbillcee I agree. So long as there is no vigorous proselytising, then the clash of differing opinions can only serve to enhance discussion.

It was something that confirms how Facebook was deleveped using psychological reasoning and components of addictive behavior.

Of course, we are all manipulated to a certain extent. A lot of what these tech companies used to develop their methods & algorithms has been used by marketing/advertising companies for decades.

I've not seen this particular video - which is well done, and very disturbing, but I have seen and heard about the fully intended addictive qualities of social media.

I know it has effected me personally. I sometimes try to remember what I did with all my time, before I had a home computer. I feel fortunate to have grown up during a time before all this. When we depended on our imaginations to create activities. Where get-togethers with friends was a regular occurrence. Where calling someone, sometimes resulted in a busy signal - so hey - you called back later ! And when you were away from home - no phone except the public booths !

I see what's happening to people. We're more connected than ever, and yet more alone. And there's this seemingly constant urgency about everything : "I texted you an hour ago ! why didn't you answer !!??" (by the way - I refuse to text, and I hardly use my cell at all - still have a landline, and answering machine)

And then, add to all this the growing angst and worry over our leadership ( I use that term very loosely ! ). The combination is having very negative effects on so many people. We're being weakened, and separated at a time when we need to unite our strengths.

Not good, Not good at all ...

Thanks for posting this !

@SilverDollarJedi Yes - this is deadly accurate - except for one thing I've observed, It's not just millenials - it's most everyone, to some degree. Damn.

I think I consider myself lucky also for being a bit older & not being brought up on "social media". Even television was not a huge part of my early life, so I have not been sucked in quite as much. But there is most definitely an addictive quality about all this, for example, as much as I love this site, how much time do you spend here? & then add in any other "phone" or computer time. Kinda scary if you honestly add it up, isn't it?

Very interesting. Thank you for posting this.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12920
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.