Agnostic.com

19 4

what is the best experience as an atheist you have had

btroje 9 Jan 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Going to the reason rally in D.C. If there is a heaven an hell I'd pick hell better class of people. Logic tells me if it is true the bible is still fiction . It is only a way to get you there.Now look at the people that do things,did things in the name of this book. These demons will be in heaven ! They were real . The bible is NOT history ! What real people did and do because of the bible IS HISTORY!

I too would pick hell over heaven (not that I believe in either) ... because I have taken horrific abuse from religious people. Fundies are very abusive.

@SKH78 me too!

@SKH78 and violent !

The sigh of relief of not having to carry a massive burden of guilt on my shoulders anymore that was given to me by religion. A close second would be when religious people tell me that atheists can't be good or moral without God yet I know and have seen countless nonreligious people that are doing so many wonderful things for others and not because they think that they have to, like if they were religious and wanted to give glory to a god, but because they genuinely care for their fellow humans and want to improve their lives regardless of if the person that they're helping is religious or not.

Sethy Level 4 Jan 15, 2018

Today the morm-missies were at the bus stop. One asked me if I ever talked to missionaries. I said yes, I have. I said I usually wish them better weather, and then hope they find enlightenment. I then flashed the Vulcan split finger salute! It was priceless, the look on their faces!!

The birth of my daughter

My best experience has been meeting other atheists, specifically that moment when you both realize that you don't need to have an internal debate on whether you should keep your beliefs (lack thereof) to yourself or go into a diatribe on organized religion.

Believers seem shocked when I tell them that atheists are the kindest people I know. For us we're kind and decent human beings because it's The way. Our motivations are inspired by neither fear nor incentive, which aren't reasons religious texts site (superficially at least) for doing good.

Superman does good... and so do atheists.

Actually knowing what I'm talking about.

First was finding out there are a lot of people out there who think l like I do. Who knew? Not me. I've always felt so weird because I didn't believe like my friends and family. And second is when I finally get my courage up to tell someone and find out they think like me. I've had that happen a few times recently. Love that!

Having been an atheist for over 50 years, every ]thing I have experienced has been as one. I have had some incredible experiences it is impossible to pick one over the others. I think I need some clarity as to what you are asking.

trying to see if I can start a thread about positive aspects of atheism for the individual or society since most of the threads I come across are focused on the damaging aspects of whatever type of theism

Listening to my children describe in turn their having concluded the same ~

Varn Level 8 Jan 5, 2018

There have been a lot of great experiences like all the Freedom From Religion Foundation conferences. But the best (and, at the same time worst) was the death of my partner. She was a life long atheist from Iran whose death was a model for us all. The community all knew her attitude on religion (she was an in-your-face type) and she sent out a message of no tears and no prayers. For 1 1/2 months the house was a revolving door of visitors and no one tried to convert her (not even her own kids 2 of whom are strict S. Baptists). One neighbor came by and hugged her and said out loud "you know you are going to hell". It was a joke and they both laughed. She was welcoming for the end and showed no fear. For months people told me how their views changed because of how she handled her own death. There were even positive comments from those that were religious. Maybe, even in her death, she got to plant some seeds.

I went to ReasonCon 3 to hear Lawrence Krause. There were other good speakers there too. It was a weekend of nothing but other non believers and I loved it.

Just watching Dr O.Hair,JD fire incompetent lawyers and taking over cases herself is empowering example of dedication to our cause : freedom from theocracy without compromise ....as Jon Garth Murray said, her good son: "Legalize Atheism everywhere" fighting false oaths, religious tests and taxes given directly to criminal religious businesses

A longtime member of AA?! They, along with Robin - are heros ~

Learning civil rights litigation, public speaking by her example and the exhilaration of Atheist ideals defined by our brightest in community REBELLION from xian Webster false definition of Atheism too many yet today conform to sophomoric collegiate "logic"

wht is your definition of atheism?
or what did you find fault with Webster's definition?

I have a few stickers on the back window of the car and wear caps that make a statement. Having people stop me and tell me how they like my stickers or my cap makes my day.

gearl Level 8 Jan 5, 2018

Not sure I understand the question. I am an atheist and always have been so the question is equivalent to "what is the best experience you have had".
And the best experience I have had is something between me and that woman only ... 🙂

I see a lot of posts of x type of experiences with theists, usually negative but rare mention of ?positive effects or aspects of being an atheist

@btroje ah ok, sorry for the misunderstanding. But TBH, cannot really think of anything that would have been a positive effect of being atheist or a positive experience because of being atheist other than maybe that it puts me in contact with other atheists and makes religious people more likely to avoid me.

Working closely with Dr Madalyn Eads Murray O'Hair and the dozens of other activists she trained, organized and motivated.1981-1995

can you describe the positive results you saw from this work?

@btroje The effect ‘they’ had on me was, not only I wasn’t alone, but there was an intellectual component to Atheism. Not simply a protest or rebelliousness for the sake of -- but a fact based movement led by example taking on religious oppression! Madalyn's unabashed Feminism could easily detract, but that was her 😉

Getting up everyday and knowing I am on the path that works for me. Question, question. And no make believe friend in charge.

Finding out there was a name for what I believed in (Humanism) and that there were other like minded people in the world.

This group-has opened by eyes and I'm learning so much.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12954
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.