Agnostic.com

8 6

"Conservatives are an extinct species" - John Irving

"Conservatives are an extinct species," Lady Sky said, "but they don't know it yet."

"She was sick of how little Americans knew about the rest of the world- or how little they cared. After two terms, the failed policies of the Bush Administration would leave the country (and the rest of the world) in a terrible mess.

"The Bible-huggers had hijacked one of the two major political parties there. (With the Bible-huggers, not much would ever change.)

"Moreover, ... there was what Danny knew as the dumber-than-dogshit element, those bully patriots - and they were too set in their ways or too poorly educated (or both)- to see beyond the ceaseless flag-waving and nationalist bluster."

By John Irving in his novel, "Last Night in Twisted River," 2010.

LiterateHiker 9 July 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I may have got off time line in these posts, if I have unfairly posted to you I am sorry I did not mean to do this. I went off on Beach_slim but jumped the track to do so. Sorry to all those who I may have offended.

The word 'conservative' has morphed over the years. My mom (almost 90) has said many times, "it used not to be such a negative word." Conservative at its root is not so bad; to want to keep what you have ... to conserve.

It's been this way for a long, long time. It is just becoming more virulent and intolerant. And logical, read Chomsky's classic essay on manufacturing consent. Religious intolerance is a subset of the larger issue.

Love Chomsky.

We could only hope..

Buddha Level 8 July 13, 2018

If the Bush administration was bad, wonder what he would think about this one! I personally think that this administration is the last hurrah for the conservatives. Let's just hope they don't wreck everything before they go. It will take a while, but I don't think they'll be in complete power again for a long time. And I hope this is not wishful thinking.

Not extinct yet. We'll see if they help destroy western democracy for favor of their republican party over the good of the country and democracy in the world. Putin is playing everyone like puppets. Crimea, brexit, fox news and their viewers, trump. Most of these idiots aren't even aware they're being played. They do putin's bidding remotely... just see the attempted obstruction of the mueller investigation and the behavior of the republicans in the hearing with strzok yesterday. There is a major problem here. Vote Democrat in November. Blue no matter who. Even if it's this one time. Our hair is on fire! There must be justice and we must save this democratic system of gvt

One has to ask what is a conservative? Been trying to figure it out and I keep returning to the French Revolution. The king of France had spent much more than he should have, some of it on our war against England, the people got pissed and killed the king, his wife, and others. Out of this were a number of people who came to the colonies and started their own political movement. I can name names, but writing this over lunch on my phone and do not have reference material in front of me. Eventually we will get smart realize we the workers are giving all we make to the rich ( conservatives mostly) who are not really adding to the economy, just taking. If you want names and events I can supply.

@dalefvictor

Conservative (dictionary.com)

adjective

1. holding to traditional attitudes and values and cautious about change or innovation, typically in relation to politics or religion.

synonyms: traditionalist, traditional, conventional, orthodox, old-fashioned, dyed-in-the-wool, hidebound, unadventurous, set in one's ways;

noun

1. a person who is averse to change and holds to traditional values and attitudes, typically in relation to politics.

synonyms: right-winger, reactionary, rightist, diehard; Republican; Tory

@LiterateHiker I know. Just saw a picture of the Revolutionary war with a caption showing the English as the conservatives and the forces of the colonies as liberals. Kind of hold true for me. Though England is about thirty years ahead of us, if we don't wake up.

@maturin1919
I blocked beach_slim. His angry comments were removed.

@maturin1919 Where the F___ have you been for the past 40 years? Asleep! Dreaming? Hallucinating??

@maturin1919 So you are 36 years old? So you do not remember the great speeches of Reagan, Not. It used to take hours for his people to spin what they thought he said. You are not old enough to remember the Republican Convention in 1968, nor do you remember the trial of the Chicago 8. You probably do not remember listening to William F. Buckley Jr. give his opinion on why the conservatives who are now in control should not be given what they want as they are dangerous for the country. Shall I go on. Do some research, read something intelligent. How about George Will? I listened to this stuff, I remember it well.

@maturin1919 Are you literate? Let us get that under control. Studied anything, have a degree in anything? Not trying to put you down I have no information from you except that you seem to not understand what I am saying. That begs the first question.

@maturin1919 OK, I am sorry as I misread the post and I did not mean to rant at you. I meant to rant at BeachSlim. I hope you will accept my rudeness and my wasting your time. Sorry.

Fairly clairvoyant.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:129917
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.