Agnostic.com

4 3

Godless conservatives?

I'm curious about godless conservatives. Even if they feel there's some doctrinal positions they align themselves with, how can they put up with the incessant god-bothering? That right there has got to be a deal breaker. George Will comes to mind, though to his credit, he's somewhat backed away from the proto-fascism he helped foster.

The way I see it is, "My God says so!" is not an argument, and an argument plus, "My God says so!" is not a better argument

WilliamCharles 8 July 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It beats me too. They never really explain the link between right wing thinking and a rejection of religion. Conservatism is inextricably linked to religion, and any fool can see that. On the other hand I can easily forge a link between rejection of religion, belief in science and reason, humanism, and progressive social and economic thinking. I don't have to deal with any cognitive dissonance to do that. Worse than that, modern conservatism has mutated into a form of reactionary anti modernism, with "faith" in strong leaders, so-called "free markets" (an illusion) and a rancid form of screw-you individualism. It still has more in common with religion than reason. The answer, as always, is human compartmentalising of beliefs in the brain. Anything can be reconciled with a total lack of serious thinking.

The more conservative atheists there are, the better it is, and at least some of us are actively trying to push the religious idiots and their distorted views out of our politics. Repubatheists is one such group that is slowly gaining traction. How do I put up with the religious preaching you ask? Simple, I don't listen to or take serious anyone who believes in a mystical genie that dwells in the sky.

Thank you for your input. I got deeper into the political divide specifically on church/state separation issues. The amount of religious twaddle they want to bankroll continues to grow.

Some have posed that same question in the conservative groups on agnostic.com. I haven't seen any level headed response to that question. In my opinion they have a different level of dislike for religion then others on this site. I think they feel religion is tolerable.

I saw their group here, but didn't go over because it says they choose not to discuss opposing views. I was thinking if I threw the question out there, maybe some modern day Ayn Rand might offer some perspective.

@WilliamCharles Its most of the nastiness you see on Facebook. There have been a few people that you can talk about the differences in opinion on politics, but for the most part it is name calling. I let them be in their group, however when one wonders out of the cave and trolls someone it's fair game.

It still reminds me of Log Cabin Republicans, or black KKK. The level of disconnect is frightening. I think a solid humanist case can be made for working together.

My experience is that they talk about their new deity Trumplstilskin & not those other ones.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:130072
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.