Agnostic.com

10 1

Do you/How do you celebrate the solstices & equinoxes?

I've recently decided to make it a point to be aware and celebrate the solstices and equinoxes (It started with wanting to celebrate the 'holiday spirit' during winter without participating too much in the Christmas mumbojumbo). In winter, I had a fire, food, and ornament making. In summer, I hope to camp and do a lantern release. In fall, I hope to do candle making. Still deciding what I want to do for spring. I've thought of going on a mini retreat. But I'm curious - what do yall do?

Susie 4 Jan 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I like to plant garden seeds after the first full moon in May, but now that I live in an elevation of a little over 5000 feet, I am going to have to rethink my tradition.

While I appreciate the change in seasons, this year I celebrate Tuesday, January 9, 2018. It's the day my body reacted to the longer day. I woke up smiling and smiled all that day. Colors are brighter, sharper. The days begin to get shorter in June, but it is August before I am so depleted that I recognize it. So i don't celebrate any solstice. However, about three weeks after one of them...life. i am a sun baby.

I look at the calendar, say, "Well, it's the first day of ____", and take another sip of my tea.

I will dance to anything worth celebrating. Since the global experiment of religion failed us truthfully I am for something more globally human to celebrate.

I think the winter solstice actually gives more meaning to the winter season than christmas does! It happens to be one of the human Traditions that actually makes sense! They figure it out the celestial pattern. And it actually helped with survival because they started planting crops at the right time.

Cheri Level 5 Jan 6, 2018

Generally alone ..Solstices are lucky to get an honorable mention on an evening newscast, and if you have to ‘remind’ someone, you next have to explain it. Well, our planet’s tilted... I nearly attended some new-age drum circle last summer.. Until envisioning myself trapped there, amid the drums and pseudoscience 🙂

My Swedish relatives go nuts for the Summer Solstice, sounds like the entire nation shuts down. Even with family here in the US, the Winter Solstice was difficult ..with everyone else scrambling to ‘finish their shopping’… I stood alone in my backyard and stared at the sky this, or last year.. Planets, other suns, galaxies, our moon - while envisioning ‘us’ tilted as far as possible to the dark side, while the southern hemi was basking in their summer sun ~

Varn Level 8 Jan 6, 2018

The only time I've even been consciously aware of them was when I lived in Seattle and the had the Solstice Parade in Fremont.

I celebrate the holiday season non-religiously. We decorate with lights and a tree, do gift exchanges, and eat tons of my favorite foods. My favorite parts of the season are family, friends, food and board games!

Absolutely nothing to be honest. I do have Christmas with my family but that's neither for the sake of Christ nor physics, it's for the sake of food and gifts 😀

I love the pagan traditions we still have here in England. Anything for a bit of feasting, singing and dancing naked in the woods!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13109
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.