Agnostic.com

6 3

How are relationships formed? Over the years I've given this a great amount of thought. I came to the conclusion that when two people meet, regardless of how or where they meet there is an instant wall of defense that's put between them (be it conscious or unconscious). I call it the brick wall. As each person shares a piece of information about themselves with the other a brick is removed from that wall and falls to the ground. Only when enough bricks fall, can those bricks be used to build the foundation for a long and lasting relationship.

steve148 7 Jan 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Your analogy about brinks is good to a point. Speaking from experience, building relationships is far more complicated. I would break it down to several steps.

1. Attraction:
    I have witnessed my friends just wink at women at a bar or in a restaurant and women would get up from their seat to share their phone number without a single word. Without physical, intellectual, financial, pheromones attraction there's no interaction.
    Key note=Everything is for Sale and there's a buyer for everything.

2. Courtship:
    After attraction stage, if you to prove that you are worthy their time by showing that you are capable of satisfying her needs. Ex. Sexual, intellectual, stability, etc..
    (Key note= Everybody have needs)

3. Short Relationship:
    After being successful on the first two, you are now in a short relationship (how short?) depends on how long you can satisfy each other needs (stability, sexual, companionship, etc.) and often the happy medium is compromise. Ex. You support this family in exchange I will (A. give you sex B. Raise the children C. Cook and clean D. Etc). If you keep yourself in shape and interesting there's less chances that I will cheat on you or leave you. (Key note= Humans are not and never meant to be monogamous)

4. Long Term relationship:
    Often after the basic needs have been covered. There's only a friendship keeping the relationship afloat. By basic needs I'm referring to: A. Show my parents and/or society that I'm an adult. B. Children can walk and eat (7 years itch). C. financially stable. D. I'm sexually satisfied. (Key note=XXXXX) Fill the blank...

sometimes though you instantly click

I am currently building a relationship, I think. We have known each other for about 5 years and hardly paid any attention to each other for most of it. But as we have Slowly gotten better acquainted, we find ourselves having the Best time together regardless of what we are doing. We both have had some tough times in our lives (I am 69, he is 73) and are equally not sure if we want to be opening up this particular can...but, wow, do we have fun together!
I have also experienced several relationships where only one of us "felt the spark". Very painful!
I have also gotten into a relationship or 2 where that "-spark" led me Far astray from what was good for me!
So I am Extremely wary of that "spark" thingy! Use the brain!

This is a great analogy for some people, but I imagine personality and experience have a lot to do with it. Certain personalities are more guarded, and some are a lot more trusting (too trusting, some of my friends confound me with how poorly they're able to recognize red flags in another person). Past experiences have a lot to do with it, as well. Some people have been lucky enough in relationships they don't feel the need for some large wall when meeting people, but I don't think that applies to many of us...

Regardless of need for a wall I think it's mostly an unconscious instinctive activation of a defense.

Some folk simply click...

You are correct. In order to form a close relationship, one must be willing to allow oneself to be vulnerable. When that vulnerability is reciprocated, a real basis for a relationship exists.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13111
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.