5 1

Religion and war

Is religion the cause of war?

• 6 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 11 votes
Mashuu 3 July 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Religion's a VERY handy (and generally acceptable) reason to murder other people. After all, "Onward Christian SOLDIERS" hasn't been a ''hit'' for many, many decades for no reason. Looking back in history...while religion might not have been the genuine reason for wars (land, money and women usually rank in there, too) it makes them look so PIOUS to wave their crosses, etc.

Sometimes but you would probably have to go pretty far back to discover those origins _ I seem to remember that in one war one side was upset about having gun cartidges The grease on the cartridge: The final spark was provided by the ammunition for the new Enfield P-53 rifle. These rifles, which fired Minié balls, used paper cartridges that came pre-greased. To load the rifle, sepoys had to bite the cartridge open to release the powder. The grease used on these cartridges was rumoured to include tallow derived from beef, which would be offensive to Hindus, and pork, which would be offensive to Muslims.

jacpod Level 8 July 15, 2018

I think the given reasons for war is often religiously oriented. However, I think the real reason(s) for war(s) is more about economics and resources. Basically it is more often that one group has what another group wants. If you can convince the minions that god is on their side, they are just a lot more likely to fight.

It's the cause of Most wars. Not all.

My dad used to say that religion was the cause of all war. For a long time I accepted this without question, but then I decided that ideological fundamentalism could be just as bad as religious, and that power underlines both rather than faith or conviction underlines both.

Mashuu Level 3 July 15, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:131337
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.