Agnostic.com

5 1

QUESTION Ijeoma Oluo

I discovered this woman on the profile page of the latest “the Humanist” magazine. I urge any who can to join this organization and the FFRF group. These 2 groups are on the forefront of the battle to preserve our freedoms of belief. I could not access the profile page but found this instead which is even more impressive.
I will quote what she said:
"It’s easy to look at acts of terror committed in the names of different gods, debates about the role of women in various churches, unfamiliar and elaborate religious rules and rituals and think, look at these foolish religious folks… Faith is not the enemy, and words in a book are not responsible for the atrocities we commit as human beings. We need to constantly examine and expose our nature as pack animals who are constantly trying to define the other in order to feel safe through all of the systems we build in society. Only then will we be as from dogma as we atheists claim to be."

We are pack animals!!
@VictoriaNotes

JackPedigo 9 Jan 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I bristle whenever I hear someone accuse atheist of being dogmatic. Dogma is defined as “a belief or set of beliefs that is accepted by the members of a group without being questioned or doubted.”  I've read this passage several times now, and I think she's saying that the dogma, or belief that we hold, is that religious people are all "foolish." I disagree. I think we mostly agree that their beliefs are wrong, but as people, they're not idiots. Pretty much everyone I know, love, and respect is a Christian.

But the point about humans being pack animals (also known as "tribalism" ) is real and scientific. I don't dispute that tribalism is a real thing.

(had to edit... the end of the last parenthetical turned into a winky emoji, and it seemed confusing)

this touches on the question that has been forming of what societal benefit does atheism have to offer. not the article, the point about examining our nature

That was a beautiful article @JackPedigo , another feel good story that improves my day. I have had black friends over the years and as close to them as I've been I can never put myself in their shoes. This white mother pushed her kids to accept their Black and African heritage where other white parents assimilate their kids which can isolate them in the black community.

I read her profile in the latest Humanist magazine and wanted to link it, but no luck. The story of my life has been 'if all else fails....there is a reason'. Doing a search under her name I came up with the link I sent. It was even better than the profile. Redaing it really moved me.

Sure, we're all tribal. It's important to realize that in ourselves. But to say that "...the words in a book are not responsible for the atrocities we commit as human beings" is a bit naive to me.

I see your point but I think in the end words don't make us do things. We do that on our own.

@JackPedigo I agree. Words don't make us do things, but beliefs do. And if you believe a god spoke the words "kill the infidels," well, you're gonna kill the infidels. This is a case where faith really is the enemy. There's pack mentality involved here too, but I don't think you can dismiss some really huge other factors that lead people to commit atrocities.

@carlyhorton See my reply to SteveB.

@JackPedigo I stand by what I said. Belief is what makes one act. And if one believes words, then those words are part of the equation.

Well, we are "social" animals, with pack traits. But I disagree to an extent, I think "Faith" is the real problem, tho it ties in with what is mentioned.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13190
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.