Agnostic.com

17 1

Homophobic atheists?

So my brother claims to be an atheist, yet he's one of the most homophobic people I know. This makes absolutely no sense to me, and his only explanation is that it disgusts him and that he believes it's unnatural. If I didn't know him, I'd assume that he was just struggling with his own homosexual feelings, but I don't think this is true in my brother's case.

Do any of you know people who don't follow a religion yet still hold prejudices against gay people? Have you tried to get them to open their minds? Has anything you've said or done worked?

mjwood 4 Jan 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Atheism is usually associated with intelligence. Intelligence is usually analogous with acceptance. And thus your brother is a puzzling case. In my experiences, many individuals openly hostile to another’s lifestyle have deeply seated unresolved issues. E.G. pastors who openly condemn homosexuality while secretly have those same tendencies themselves. Or, young men ashamed to disclose they may have had an experience, voluntary or otherwise, and feel guilt ridden over it. Please do not read too deeply into my reply. I am suggesting nothing. I am simply sharing my experiences.

Perhaps an exorcism is needed. It appears that he is possessed by the demon Leviticus. Someone get that man a pulled pork sandwich!

Yes, I have known people, usually older people, who are prejudiced out of ignorance, but can be reasoned with.

In the Atheist Soviet Union, homosexuality was illegal. It was not legalized until 1993 in Christain Russia.

@PalacinkyPDX Thanks for the reply and information.

@PalacinkyPDX again thanks and actually I sort of use the good ole CCCP in debates with my right wing friends. When they start throwing the same ole same ole that Democrats and Liberals are Communists I mention the USSR, Cuba, China, North Korea, Stalin, Castro, etc and ask: These governments/leaders were liberal?

Instead of posting here perhaps you should talk with your brother. At the end remember, you know who you are and you made your choice. If you firmly believe this is what you are then it doesn't matter what others think...you don't need your brothers approval. Though it would be nice. Believe me the more you want to change his mind the more he will think you are trying to 'convert him' so just tell him you accept that he believes its unnatural and that he will never consider it an option. Just tell him that and let it be....in time he will notice that you being gay does not change anything between you and your relationship will go back to normal....only then you may be able to change his perception.

It is all in our heads, Every thing we think to be true is indeed true, If you have no exposure or prejudice, then you would note what you see and just try to understand, But when the mind opts to accept these other opinions, then we get a standard model. What I mean by atheism and homophobia do not work together is that I do believe to be atheist is to release my mind of all and let me take control. To be homophobic is to not listen to science, to nature herself. And I do sort of agree with a comment posted in that those who are seriously dealing with an internal struggle tend to become very homophobic

EMC2 Level 8 Jan 13, 2018

Religion mostly states homosexuality is a sin, non religious may call is distasteful but the bottom line is that it is what we wish to learn in life. There is NO original sin, nothing is wrong if we do not see it as wrong. However, things that hurt other people are completely wrong. If we grew up in a world that did not condemn sexuality , we would be comfortable with the various sexual blends out there. Atheism, tells me mother nature is the one in control. I too find the thought of being with the same gender repulsive, I could not do the act for any sum of money or favor but that is because I am not interested in such but those that are, fine,

EMC2 Level 8 Jan 13, 2018

Just because someone has developed the critical thinking skills to question a cultural norm like religion doesn't mean they'll use that same skill in other parts of their lives. I've encountered more racism, xenophobia and sexism on this site than expected.

I assume he was raised religious?

I know a number of ex-Muslims that know their revulsion to pork makes no sense now. But they just can't let it go. Even with that self awareness.

That's a good point, I have a former-Muslim friend who also still refuses to eat pork. My brother and I were both raised Mormon (though not very strictly) and we both went to Christian schools.

I think it's completely up to the person what they think, it's not what nature intends, we all know this, but it's how you deal with those feelings is what is important. I have ZERO issues with any of the alternatives to heterosexual, but it does gross me out when I see two men kiss, can't help it, just does. Two women on the other hand I'm more than okay with.

As long as he's not hurting anyone's feelings or being vocal about it, I see no issue, and the fighting the homo feelings is just silly, IMO! Basically it's not his fault, he could lie to be PC, but that would just make him a liar and to his own brother... People that have other phobias, they can't help that, either.

I have lots of gay friends, they are great when they aren't drunk and saying they can turn me...

I don't honestly understand it myself.. For one thing the natural argument can be thrown by the wayside.. There are several species that engage in gay sex.. Wolves for example.. And I get it he things its gross.. Truth be told the thought of two men going at it is kinda gross to me but thats why I don't have gay sex... Simple. But it's not my problem if other people do it.

Absolutely. There are all combinations of beliefs and feeling out there, that may never make sense to anyone except the one believing whatever.

Perhaps by simply living a good example, you and your brother can find a common place , while recognizing full well, that it may never happen. Just love him.

You cannot be an atheist and be homophobic , That is the way I see it. No god, no need to judge, no need to demand a lifestyle as mine, NO problem

EMC2 Level 8 Jan 7, 2018

It is believing there is no sin for homosexuality,, It bothers me not what people wish to do as long as their engagement does not result in laws for the rest of us I am truly without god and with that I feel that all can do what they wish behind closed doors, to condemn it is to actually believe it is not natural or fine .

So what's the word for it, then? What is it with people, labels and rules?!

@EMC2 I'm a lifelong atheist. I find certain things distasteful but I would never characterize them as sins. Just because I wouldn't do them, that doesn't mean I care if others do them or not. The concepts of sin and judgement have no religious meaning for me.

While I am not homophobic, I think that someone can be an atheist and still be homophobic.

It could be conditioning. I also had a friend with a similar outlook. So I asked him how much he resented people trying to tell him,how he should live his life 1 - 10. Not surprisingly he answered 11. "Well then what gives you the right then?" Also mathematically the more gay guys there are then the more women for straights. As for lesbians, well you cant blame someone for fancying women, theyre lovely.

I don't see the problem but some do. I don't get the part of homophobia that's anything to do with religion. I know a lot of religions condemn it but they're not the same thing.

The religious people I'm around daily accept homosexuality. We have a few gay/lesbian/bi (I'm bi) crew members/managers. A lot of the techs at my living center are gay, but also religious. I don't know any homophobic atheists though.

Homophobic atheist seems like it should be considered an oxymoron.
I don't know if it'll help, but you could tell your brother that homosexuality is
naturally occurring in over 1,500 species, besides humans, with no ill-effects.
Saying it's "unnatural" is patently false.

The hardest part is getting him to put aside his emotions and actually hear the facts. Almost like talking to a Christian.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13219
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.