Agnostic.com

14 2

Profanity 101

Is it OK to use profanity in front of children?

jennifool629 4 July 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As long as it's not being used at them.

I don't censor myself and I didn't make my children censor themselves. My rule has always been that we don't use our words as weapons.

I try to avoid it, but occasionally have my streaks. As I've explained it to our son, "Daddy was a Sailor, but mama speaks the language."

Do not get the idea of swear words. My daughter knows when to use them and not but I have a hard time telling her not to use swear words at all because I consider swear words just words. I personally do not like calling people names or bully others. This is something that I do make a big deal about. She is aware that if she says certain words in school she will get in trouble. It is just part of the rules like not wear hoodies and such.

DeiP Level 5 July 19, 2018

Terse and to the point. I echo your response.

I really don't care. They're gonna hear it anyway. The only time I mind my swearing is when I have to be professional.

I try to watch my swearing around children, and around women I don't know; just my upbringing. Not always successful.

Teach them to be honest and duly cynical. Inevitably a proper mastery of profanity will be useful to them .

Depends; profanity has several definitions. Saying in front of a child that there is no god is an example of one definition of profanity. Saying son, don't go grabbing girls by the pussy is another definition.

We are role models for our children.

Do you want your child to offend people? Get fired for swearing at customer or his/her boss?

Teach children good manners instead.

I think it is fine to use language in front of your own children. Children to me are able to understand the difference of when and how to use language. I am not naive to think that they don't swear with friends, but they know not to use it in improper situations. I don't use language around other kids though because I am not explaining things to them.

Not in my opinion. I'm a teacher and I see the outcome of a liberal parental policy on profanity. The only word they csn spell correctly on a test is f**k

t1nick Level 8 July 18, 2018

There have been studies showing that people who swear actually have a higher intelligence on language. Do you see the opposite in younger people?

@Fulishsage yes. The students who rely on swearing tend to be academically less strong. Yes not always, exceptions do not make the rule. They are either tyyig to overcompensate, or are trying to put on an act for attention. Granted this is anecdotal evidence, but it's based on 30 years of teaching high school

@jennifool629 I am a scientist and a teacher and I believe in empirical evidence, but I also believe what I see with my own eyes everyday.

Conditionally I would say yes. Words and gestures are tools we use to communicate. Why limit a person's set of tools? On a side note, I do not swear unless something profoundly horrible has happened.

I tried to wait until mine were older. 12 and up, say.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:134185
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.