Agnostic.com

13 1

Does anybody come into contact with people who actually believe that the world is around 6,000 years old and if so what do you think about that ?

Wolfbat 6 Jan 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

no never met one but I'd call an ambulance if I did !

there is nothing to say to them, i can get a more intelligent response from my dog.

turf Level 5 Jan 7, 2018

From what I can make out your someone who believes in doing your best and the right thing, who can blame a child for believing their Parents ? It's a natural thing we all do it. Thank you for reply and honesty.

Yes indeed I have, I am forced to look at his ugly mug every day.... In a mirror. I was raised as a young earth creationist, fundamentalist. I have thought back about what type of Christian was more extreme than we were in this regard. There is simply none. As a child I did buy into it completely. There was simply no reason to even consider that Mom and Dad and everyone else I knew in church could be wrong. I wanted be the very best servant of God that I could be. Life was short but eternity last forever, we only had one chance to get it right. Even among my peers and elders I was believed to be the most likely to become a pastor. I wanted to do whatever God wished. There was no questioning God or the church, not only would it be taboo but why would anyone? I was completely and thoroughly indoctrinated. I like to use the harsher term brainwashed from birth. Due to my enthusiasm I wanted to know the bible as much as possible so as a teen about 13 I studied it obsessively and not for a little while about for 30 years now but for other reasons I will get to. I was taught by my Methodist church that the bible was the inerrant word of God. This means it was gods words put into his book for us. So it was in fact perfect. I began to find problems Jesus is said to have said, that all sins are forgiven and that the sin of blasphemy was unforgivable. It simply could not be both. This made me feel like in was an inadequate idiot, the word was perfect. So I studied even more to resolve the building conflict inside of me. The more I studied the more I found conflicting ideas in the bible, so I felt worse about myself and studied even harder, the cycle continued and of course got worse. At some time I came to realise that the bible was not written by God but men whom did not agree with each other about what god was. I then realised that I did not believe in God. Not because I rejected him but because I was in fact seeking him. There are many atheist that say they don't believe in God due to science. I believed in Christian pseudo science. I instead found that the bible refuted its self that was all it took for me to realise I no longer believed in what I was taught as a child. I now study theology, Christian history, and many forms of textual and form criticism. To understand the bible one must understand it's origins. I study not only what's in the bible but more importantly about the bible. I do this as I do personally know how difficult it is to be a Christian extremists whacko and to escape. Not to whine here but it is very emotionally difficult to realise you have lived a lie. So now I write on May websites and proffer questions to theist to get them to question how they know what they know and how they know it is real. I do this not to "make atheist" but to give people the power of reason so that they may be completely sure of what they do know and believe. There is nothing more comforting, no way to better be at peace with one's self.

I know a few people like that, convinced the world is 6000 years old, all the layers in the Grand Canyon were laid down during the time of Noah, all that happy horseshit. I don't spend any more time with them than I have to.

I have never encountered one of those creatures, but maybe it's because the conversation has never been initiated by either of us.

The dude that married my mom believes every word of the Bible literally.

Holidays are always hilarious.

a laugh a minute

The Dude must be hard work then ?

Hard work, but always worth it. He's bald, so his entire head turns Crayola red when he's angry.

It's a lot of fun.

Our last argument was Thanksgiving. The subject? Noah's ark. By far the easiest target.

I know some who either think that, or acknowledge that the earth itself is older but humans have only been around for 6,000 years; and, of course, the Garden of Eden, Flood, Tower of Babel, Exodus stories, etc. are historic fact that took place within this time frame.

It's jaw dropping what some people think and we are supposed to be the ones with closed minds.

Yes! My a/c repairman told me that he knows for a FACT that the world is only between 6-8 thousand years old. He had been talking to this fundamentalist preacher who was visiting his church, and he explained it all to him - made me wonder if the man was HAMM. (If you haven't seen the debate between Hamm and The Science Guy, go to YouTube and type that in the browser - you won't believe it but it is a video of their 'chat'.)
The a/c man kept saying if you could just hear him speak and explain, you would understand. He was so riveted by this man that he could not countenance another opinion - didn't want to hear- was so happy and grounded in his belief. He discarded the new dating processes, evidence in the mountains and grounds , rocks and heavens, etc. He had the Facts...given to him by this man who had only a high school education but had been spoken to by God.

PEGUS Level 5 Jan 7, 2018

Was the repair man on angel dust ?

My best friend's entire extended family is one of them. My friend is an RN, and her sister is an Occupational Therapist; so education has nothing to do it their beliefs. I asked her about the evidence to the contrary she explained that the reason for that is that Satan is deceiving us. I just let them believe since I know I won't ever change their minds.

Satan is deceiving us is always used when they get cornered with the absolute absurdity of their view point.

They have a 'tunnel education'. Their educations are on one subject. They have never been exposed to Humanities studies which includes art, music, history, literature, religions. They have no idea of what they have missed, but anyone who talks to them can see right away that they have missed a large part of their upper education, and in educated circles they would actually be considered uneducated or at least very under educated.

Indeed, specially old / uneducated people. I ignore them and I keep going.

Probably the best thing to do.

@Wolfbat I am not about to waste intelligent time talking to them.

Truly laughable - just staggers my mind what people believe...

I drove 5 extra hours while I was i Utah to touch an 80,000+ year old living organism. As a veteran I have some die hard religious idiots as genuine friends and just wanted to ground myself. Pando in Fishlake National Park in southern Utah. Peaceful, beautiful and as close to a religious experience as I've ever had.

80K+year old "tree"

What is this organism ?

@Wolfbat Pando is "an Aspen stand". Covers over 100 acres with one root system that pops up trees that live and die, but the roots are one organism that has lived that long. Most scientists say 80,000, some say it may be closer to a million. Link in my original comment goes to my post about it and has a link to Wikipedia. It is worth seeing in person. The internet will never do it justice. Also... It is dying... Though I don't know if that means years or decades...

I once worked with a guy that gave a great explanation to why he didn't believe that; there are too many ages, three ice ages, iron age, bronze age and so on, but I did know someone who didn't believe the holocaust happened.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13454
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.