Agnostic.com

17 1

When?

at age 50 I realized no gods exist ,how about you?

Nogodnohate 5 Jan 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was about 35 when I started having my doubts. I read about the founding fathers and discovered Deism. I studied this for years and label myself as a freethinking agnostic now.

I never really believed, but around 34 (44 now) I started to realize it was all BS.

35 for me

It was more of a gradual process that started when I was still a child. It started with doubts, that grew over time and were reinforced as i learned more and more. I publicly declared my atheism at 23, although I had privately become an atheist a few years before.

There is no one day I woke up as a non-believer. I would describe myself as always being perpetually curious and instinctual, till I realized sometime in my 20's that "faith" is an active choice to shutdown the curiosity and intellect we are born with. It is a form of conditioning meant to keep you inline.

My second epiphany came when I discovered and understood the ramifications of the innate human tendency of anthropomorphism. Our entire species has evolved with this tendency to compare everything to ourselves, thereby never really seeing the thing or object we are discussing from an objective point of view. In fact, that line of thinking brought me to the whole concept of existentialism.

So for me, it has been a life long process.

Just this year, well, 2017. I guess that's not this year anymore, but within the last year 🙂

I contacted an atheist friend from high school a couple months back to see if they could give me some advice, and they responded "You were always so smart. I'm not surprised you gave up Christianity, I'm just surprised it took you so **** long." lol.

I was doubt it once I figure out that there really was no Santa and I declare myself one at age 10 when I began to grasp science and the important of verifiable evidence.

I've always questioned. But accepted there was no god around 9th grade.

Never a believer. My parents aren't religious and I grew up reading so many books about mythology and folk tales that it was easy to see modern religions in the same light. Plus I read a ton of fantasy and science fiction, which all just made it hard to take religious beliefs seriously.

1. At church camp. Though I started having doubts at 10 or so.

I tried to believe, my mother believed, I was raised to believe, so I made allowances, crap people told me, ie God created the universe e etc in 6 days, but that is not meant to be taken literally and so forth. But this was frying my brain, a few religious lady friends didn't help. Everyone believe, so it must be right. I would have to say I was in my 40s before i could state completely that I didn't believe in some way.

I was about 5

Teens.

20-ish for me.

welcome

Think I was in second grade about 7 years old.

Very early teens, and masturbation sealed the deal for some unable to explain reason.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13538
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.