Agnostic.com

2 2

As an atheist, I view religious texts as "fake news." Science and history are direct evidence that proves religions are incorrect about our human origins, etc.

But, because of Trump, we now are questioning and even refuting journalism that publishes facts as fiction. When I watch the news, I am under the impression that these professional journalists are representing the facts about a story.

Fox news has time and time again, not reported the facts as much as their news personalities opinions. Based on other news agencies, it's easy enough to prove Fox news omits certain things they don't like, to make their alt-right agenda come through to their viewers. Even present Fox employees have reported being unhappy with Fox's inability to reveal all of the facts about a subject.

But Trump and his cronies have tried to discredit any news that doesn't fit their agenda. How do we establish that the other news agencies are actually reporting facts?

I dislike the word "faith". But we do need to believe our news agencies. We can't be everywhere to see these stories in person, so we rely on the professionals to provide that information.

Thoughts?

ksmartines 6 Jan 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I can only suggest that amongst the general public an increased appreciation of science processes and taking individual responsibility for checking all facts will get rid of false news. Perhaps if each and every TV screen had a coloured border which showed a particular colour which signalled "This is an opinion" you would change things?

The word faith is multifaceted but it is actually a mental facility which keeps us sane when there is no evidence. It is the misuse which causes the damage.

The problem is, at least for me, that even what I consider credible news hosts allowed guests to outright lie on their programs and get away with it. I think this has improved but I find myself not being able to watch people that have repeatedly lied in the past. I turn it off and now just watch shows that support what I believe. Does that make me as bad as a guy or girl watching FAUX news? I really believe that the majority of news people do have integrity and try to fact-check and not make mistakes. The daily torrent of lies coming out of government is just too much, too much of the time, and I despair.

gearl Level 8 Jan 8, 2018
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13584
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.