Agnostic.com

7 1

Patriotism and religion have many similarities in the way they are practiced. The fundamentalist approach, America; love it or leave it, and the devout approach, we should be the hope of the world, an example of pure freedom.

Benmonk 6 Jan 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

And lately, we have to add to the mix, "tribalism". A separate identity of various factions, then it becomes " us against them ".

As if we need more reasons to divide !

What you describe is blind, irrational patriotism -- an extreme position which is harmful to both people and to the nation and what it stands for.

I consider myself patriotic: I served in the military. I value most of the principles on which this nation was founded. I vote and pay my fair share of taxes to support needed governmental services. I believe in democracy. I am offended by your putting my patriotism in the same categorty as that you describe.

I described two types, to both extremes. Which was it that described your patriotism?

@Benmonk Your statement did not say that it was describing dysfunctional extreme patriotism, but to paint all patriotism with the same brush.

I think we all ‘get patriotism.’ In grade school I was called ‘Captain America,’ because of my base pride in our nation. At home, I was the 1 of 4 who put out our flag (read the rules), then took it in at the appropriate time.. A tad older, and I’d have fought in Vietnam…

Patriotism is not wrapping oneself in a flag, attending some church or subordinating yourself to an authority figure - it consists of fighting against injustice in order to make yours a more ‘perfect union.’ Perhaps a seemingly futile task ... but if you’ve intelligence enough to recognize 2 steps forward and 1 step back as progress, you’ve got the right stuff ~

Varn Level 8 Jan 8, 2018

Patriotism might not be as bad, but I think Nationalism breeds segregation and hate for the most part. It's a loaded topic though including government propaganda, marketing, etc etc.

There is no doubt that the promoters of patriotism borrowed and inserted religion into their practises, adopting such phrases as “in god we trust” , “under god”. stamp bible references onto sniper scopes, etc.

mzee Level 7 Jan 8, 2018

We should have informed freedom.
I don't think pure freedom would help as much.

I agree.

gearl Level 8 Jan 8, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13603
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.