Agnostic.com

3 2

Dating and being "particuar"

Please, for lack of a better term, allow me to use obsessive compulsive behavior in this post. I do not wish to make lite of those who are diagnosed with OCD

I know that I am quite particular about things and routines etc., not to the point where I could be diagnosed with OCD, but definately getting close on the obsessive part.

The question I asked myself today after my brother inadvertantly messed with my bagging the groceries routine; was simply:

How do I go about finding that person who not only gets me, as I discussed in my response to @alimacbean 's post, but who will mesh with my obsessive compulsive behaviors?

When I do how do I know thay I need to hold on to this person? I can tend to be oblivious at times, especially with relationships.

Will my obsessive compulsive behavior allow me to see "how green the grass is?"

How many of us feel this way?

Thanks for letting me ramble here.

cimoore34 7 July 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Be careful, as best anyone can.. that you don’t end up in a codependent relationship. Where, someone with a known (to them) disorder accepts the disorder of another assuming they will accept ‘theirs.’ It can work, there are many of them out there.. but there’s a price to be paid.

Be yourself, expose your assumed ‘flaws’ when possible. It makes you real. I’ve watched a friend find a quality woman by doing just that … as I’d marveled at the courage it took for him.. She’s not flawed (that I’m aware of), but supports both his talents and difficulties. Women do that..

Varn Level 8 July 22, 2018

I don't think it matters as such. Everyone has differences with their partner -- differences in style, personality, temperament, habit -- that have to be negotiated. If you have a partner who is interested in knowing you -- warts and all -- and committed to living with you in an understanding way, then anything can in theory be worked out. If on the other hand if either you or your partner is bent on having everything their way, then not much of anything can be worked out.

In other words I don't see mild OCD as any more of an issue than your preferences in other areas of life. Just find someone who is mature enough not to take it personally and is not arrogant enough to try to change you.

I have no clue, but it sounds like you would need to find someone with the same style that you do. IE dinner at same time, dishes in specific spots, clothes folded the same way and so forth. If she has OCD as well, and you always want the toilet seat up, and she always wants it down, that'll be WWIII!

Luckily I believe in always putting the seat down and have raised my son to do the same to prevent WWIII situations. Thanks for the input.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:136694
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.