Agnostic.com

53 5

A few questions for Atheists out there.

What made you become an Atheist? Are there any other members in your family who are atheists or did you become one independently? Have you told your family about your religous thoughts and what did they say? I am not an Atheist myself but I’m just wondering what life is like to be one. Peaceee 😉

bacastro 4 July 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

53 comments (51 - 53)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's probably the same as anyone else except you can pontificate about how smart you are for not getting sucked into religious nonsense and how stupid religious people are because they have

Seriously? If you do that may be more for your own ego than anything else.
Being an Atheist does not make you smarter and believing does not make them dumber.
I would say any Atheist that feels any superiority over believers solely on a personal choice that effects no one else is pretty classic case of narcissism.
Also it is simply not true. Atheists can no more disprove God than believers can prove him so that part is at least a stalemate. As an atheist you believe there is no god...you do not know it other than for yourself.

I make some very poor personal choices that many would label me "stupid" for but they are personal choices and I understand the consequences and the drawbacks and they don't really impact anyone else directly. I mean I could care less if people think I am dumb anyway...always been smart enough to get what I need/want which is as smart as I need to be

Plenty of very smart believers out there. You can easily believe in God without being part of an organized religion. I know plenty of people that believe in God but would feel better about being on this site than as part of any organized religion

@maxhyde I agree entirely I was being ironic, but that seems to be the position of many of the posts which are placed here.

@Geoffrey51 Sorry, my bad. Sarcasm and irony don't come across well in text sometimes. Yeah I have noticed a trend that topics are quite anti-religious and seem to place atheism on a pedestal. I mean ideally that is what atheism should become but it is a journey that never really is complete.

@maxhyde that's a good way of putting it.

I was born an atheist, went through the Christian "teaching" (mandatory church attendance as parents were theists) but when I was very young, I noticed the church was teaching silly childish stories that contradicted observable reality. During "Bible Study" I managed to find biblical and reality contradictions to every lesson. The last day of “Confirmation class”, the instructor told us about the "Holy Trinity" and I responded "Well, that's just stupid". Before that time I concluded religion was nothing more then a made up mind-fuck game adults used to scare children into doing what the adults wanted them to do. It wasn't until I was older that I realized some old people did not mature to accept a world based on testable reality but maintained the childish position of depending on faith (belief without evidence dishonestly asserted as facts) over testable fact based reality.

When I was young, many of my friends drank the cool-aid (became active Christians) but all have now matured and realize religion, based on faith, is Bullshit. When I was in my lat 20’s an old childhood friend called and asked me, “How did you know?” "Know what?" I responded. “Know that religion is bullshit. You always knew. I have moved to Seattle and everybody I know, My wife and all her relatives, doctors, lawyers etc. all recognize religion is BS”. I responded, “Because religion was nonsensical it did not reflect reality. I didn’t know you actually believed in that make believe nonsense.” He now recognizes religion is BS.

When I told the folks I did not accept faith (belief without evidence) based religion they tried to assert I was an agnostic. I corrected them and said, “No. I do not accept the baseless supernatural faith based claims that a god exists. I am not a theist. Because I value truth based on demonstrable facts, and because there are no facts to support a god even exists, I do not accept the faith based god exists claim. This makes me an atheist. I was strong on my position and they had no choice but to accept my stand.

As for now, one parent is still a theist. She has learned to avoid brining up religion as I openly point out flaws with any and all religion based bogus assertion. I do feel sorry for her as faith reduces the beauty and honesty of reality.

Religion also reduces the value of the one life we recognize we have; The life we are currently living. I once knew a lovely young woman who killed herself because – according to her suicide note found under her hanging body - - “I have killed myself so I can can live forever with Jesus and my dead father in heaven.”

On a side note: As an active anti-theist, I have de-converted several theists. They have all thanked me for helping see the light of reality over the darkness of superstition. The most appreciative atheist was a Catholic who no longer has nightmares about burning in hell forever because some woman seduced a man into eating an apple and pissing off god. He now lives without nonsense based fear and is free to accept reality without the restrictions of faith and dogma. Rather sure this is the foundation of “Free Thinker” although the dictionary definition of free thinker is “a person who rejects accepted opinions, especially those concerning religious belief.” if you are NOT an atheists (one who does NOT accept the opinions of the positive assertion of a god), how can you identify yourself as a free-thinker?

grew up catholic with a long line of catholics in my family, then family became protestant. Becoming an atheist was done after moving out. Family still is christian. They have a lot of children to raise yet.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:137317
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.