Agnostic.com

7 5

Isn’t it funny people get all bent out of shape when a person uses god’s name in vain? Sometime I do this to piss them off.

Like using a word to degrade his name is as bad as compared to the things he’s done. Give me a damn break lol.

#god
EmeraldJewel 7 Jan 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Do Christians even read the Bible or look up definitions of words?

Lol nope! Half of them aren’t even aware of the verse in Isaiah.

I do it often enough that I can't say I never do it.
The only person who gets upset is my mother, so I make a special exception for her, and make sure I do it often around her.

I never use God's name in vain to upset the religious; I just do it without caring. What I think is funny is that Christians balk at saying "Goddamnit!" or "Jesus Christ!" in anger, but somehow fail to realize that "in vain" means without respect and will tolerate and even engage in such blasphemy. Example: I once referred to a bicycle I bought that had only one gear and said that was "as God intended." My religious cousin, knowing I'm an atheist, was so impressed that I'd invoked the name of God. I was so amused that she never once realized that such flippant use of "God," according to the Bible she puts so much stock in, is entirely commandment-breaking blasphemy. In fact, most Christians I know of pepper in automatic declarations of religiosity like "praise Jesus" or "God is good" or whatever, in casual conversation, like an uncontrollable tic. It seems they think only angry use qualifies as "in vain," when really any fruitless, irreverent, or casual use qualifies. On the other hand, the name of God isn't "God" according to the Bible, but rather Yahweh for the father. And it's not "Jesus" for the son, but rather "Yeshua." So, they're breaking their own rules and not breaking them all at the same time. I think it's rather humorous.

The funny thing is they will pray, and they don't realize they are the ones taking God's name in vain. By their beliefs; God has a master plan, God is omniscient, God knows what he is going to do and will not change his mind. Their asking God to do something else is one of the most serious sins.

God has never done anything good or bad. Men throughout history have done all the bad things in the religious texts and gave him the credit. He is a myth.

I consider a declaration to pray or praying in public to be acts of vanity, taking god's name in vain by implication, to make themselves appear better to other people.

The most ironic part is that most of them don't know that God isn't his name, or what it actually means to use it in vain.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13769
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.