Agnostic.com

15 11

There’s plenty of evidence that cell phones are detrimental to academic achievement ,particularly for students who are less advantaged to begin with.As a New York City School teacher I can report that since the ban on cell phones has been lifted in City Schools a few years back cyber bullying has increased 351 percent in that time.The types of incidents include fat -shaming and harassment over race,gender and sexual orientation.This does not include fighting over phones ,theft of phones etc.This kind of environment isn’t conducive to learning.

juli15 7 Jan 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sorry about the lag on my comment. I just came across your post. My kid has games on his phone that text him messages encouraging him to play after an hour of inactivity. The gaming industry is very insidious. Are you aware of any new systems of learning or technologies being developed to help get through to this generation of students?

Unfortunately none that I am aware of,except strict parenting .My parents limited my use of cell phones

@juli15 Thanks for the feedback. I do restrict my sons phone. His school allows cell phones on campus but they must be turned off in class. It helps.

Besides what you mention it is a known fact that students are using internet search engines to get answers to provided test questions .

An extremely important fact that I failed to mention

I love the fact in the Walking Dead Series. There are no cell phones. How many shows can get away with that? I would take a zombie over a cell phone any day 🙂 My frivolous thoughts.

I was the last man on america to own a cell phone. I use the camera and music more than the phone connection but is what it is. Maybe I refused to date just to avoid the "what are you doing?" question and my response "I was doing until you interrupted me". I still walk out of the door without it often enough. Still I recognize the need in today society and how grateful I am to live most of my life without the little "dingy". To me been available 24/7 is not romance is prison.

Whilst I would not disagree that cell phones in the classroom can be detrimental, is it not even more a case of (lack of) self/school discipline that students are unable to switch them off while on school time/premises?

stupid people with the world at there fingertips.

Three term Mayor Michael Bloomberg initiated the ban and deBlasio lifted it

Worse than cell phones: common core. My sympathies

Wow... what the public don't know! I hate to even think the riots that would happen if the phones were banned from school.

If it was done before successfully it can be done again .I place the blame on deBlasio

Banning cell phones in schools seems unenforceable. It seems it would be easier to jam the signals within school grounds.

Hmmm... maybe.

It is not unenforceable. Before Mayor de Blasio lifted the ban the phones were checked into a private sector Company van outside all NYC schools at the beginning of the school day .At the end of the day the students would retrieve the phones . Look it up on the internet .It will explain it

it is probably illegal but they should be checked at the door or kept in their lockers

It’s not illegal.See above reply .Thanks for your comment

Wow. So sad and frustrating. Do you know of anything we can do to start making a difference in this area?

Go back to the way it was before deBlasio

My argument against cell phones in school is that it takes you out of your learning environment.

That’s what happens when you give unfetter d access to immature teenagers, but that’s what our society does regularly. I teach in Texas schools and cell phone use is a pain.

The parents are to blame .My parents limited my cell phone use .I also had a cheap cell phone that utilized paid minuets and was not permitted Internet access

Good parents

351%
Yikes!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13775
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.